H.E. Sundeck fails Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkgc

Good Morning

The quest continues.

The new prospect is a

1985 President 41 Double Cabin
After reading the specs on the advertisement I was astonished it stated 2.83 feet max draft.
Could you all enlighten me on the good and the bad.
Fuel and water tanks have been replaced. The current owner is 2nd owner and he has owned it 17 years.

Thanks
Tim

The draft specified is wrong. We had one and I actually used a tape measure and it measured 3’8”. It was a good boat. We had a family situation that made us want a faster boat so we sold it. But if the tanks have been replaced it should be a good boat. The PO had recored the deck in several places. Ours had 4 short windows on the trunk cabin sides that had been leaking for years. We took the windows out and glassed the openings closed. Then we added 3 hatches for light and ventilation. What engines does it have?

Our previous President had the SP225s in it. It would top out at about 17 knots. The 120s will give you a reasonable speed and great fuel economy. We did a ton of work on it and then sold it…. Oh well.

Comodave

Would you please let me know about its sea keep ability as well as how it handles a following sea and straight on chop Gulf of Mexico style.
Very close together 2 footers.
Thanks for the truth on max draft 2.83 ft seamed impossible to me with the weight and beam width.
Unless it had a Helium filled ballast. Jk

Thanks
Tim

I don’t know who came up with the draft but it is listed that way everywhere. I didn’t believe it so the first year at haul out I measured it.

As to sea keeping as most flybridge boats it doesn’t love a beam sea. It will roll a bit so we would change headings a bit and it was fine. We crossed Lake Ontario in 5 to 6’ seas off our starboard quarter. It was uncomfortable but not bad. The autopilot sure got a workout that day but it was better than me fighting the wheel for 6 hours. My wife didn’t like that day but I explained to her that it wasn’t dangerous but just uncomfortable. Then she was ok but not happy. The boat took it in stride and did very well IMO.

Tim, just out of curiosity, did the Sundeck fail survey because it was misrepresented to be in better condition, or did it fail because of items found that the seller didn't know about? And was it represented by a broker? Thanks, Scot

This is just a WAG on my part, but could the 2.83 ft figure be the "fairbody" distance? (Distance from WL to lowest part of hull without the keel?)
Naval architects use this number when calculating volume and prismatic coefficient.
Just a thought....

Good Morning

The quest continues.

The new prospect is a

1985 President 41 Double Cabin
After reading the specs on the advertisement I was astonished it stated 2.83 feet max draft.
Could you all enlighten me on the good and the bad.
Fuel and water tanks have been replaced. The current owner is 2nd owner and he has owned it 17 years.

Thanks
Tim

Published draft being wrong is unfortunately common. My boat has a published draft of 3'0". As best I can figure, they measured in salt water with empty tanks and only measured to the lowest point of the molded hull (the bottom aft part of the keel). In the real world, with full tanks, a normal load of stuff, and in fresh water, the boat draws 3'5" to the keel and 3'10" to the props. In salt water we draw about an inch less.

Back
Top Bottom