Hello From Washington, NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wackman

Thanks for letting me join. I’m a sailor of many years who is planning to do the Down East Loop and I’m thinking of doing in a trawler. So… I’m trying to learn what I can before buying. Any suggestions ?

Hello Wackman. I consider Washington as my home port. I'll be returning there within the next year.

Steve Zimmerman of Zimmerman Marine gave an excellent PowerPoint show on doing the Down East Loop at both the trawlerfests in Stuart FL and Baltimore in 2022. He once had it posted on his company's website, but it is not there. Contact him at Zimmerman Marine--I'll bet you can get a copy. He did the trip in a Fleming 55 or 58. Just he and his wife. There are blogs out there by many who have done the trip. Can easily be done in one summer. The American Great Loop Association sort of acts as a guardian for the Downeast Loop as there is no similar association for that. They have some material and would be worth contacting. They have a ton of stuff on doing the Great Loop, and frankly, with respect to a boat and most else, their suggestions would be of great value. Near the mouth of the St. Lawrence, it is virtually open sea water as is the Gulf of St. Lawrence as well as rounding Nova Scotia. Nonethe less, 98% of the trip is done in sight of land. It can all be done in daylight, and remember that far north, you will have a lot of daylight.

There are some books. Googlle the internet.

After reading all you can--and there is a lot on the internet--I recommend going to trawlerfests and asking questions. A lot of good knowledge there as well as people who have done it. Listen to their recommendations as to what kind and size boat as well as boats to avoid. Any trawler in good shape can do the job. There are no realisitc beam, depth, length or height* restrictions, so your choice boils down to your comfort level and budget.

You can use this forum to see if anyone else is planning the trip. There will be some. Going in a group has the comforts and tribulations of group travel. The weather and opening of the canals dictates a stsart date from New York around mid-May.

*Most boaters go the NYC--Erie Canal to Oswego--then down the St. Lawrence route, which does put you on the east half of the Erie Canal. There is a height restriciton but it is not bad. I don't recall it. Find out before you buy a boat. Most trawlers have masts that can be lowered or folded, but not flying bridges.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom