Hello there! I have a question about a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brudus

Me and my father saw this trawler at a marina in 2020 while we where looking for one to buy, however we couldn't figure out what kind of trawler it was other than that it was a Sundeck from what we could tell. So I stumbled upon this forum and i thought it would be a good idea to ask what kind of trawler it is sense thats what this forum is good at.

I am currently planning on living on a trawler such as this one but I do need to know what kind of trawler it is

Attachments

• 0F8BD642-6806-4DD3-BE30-FAB65B9CF0C2.jpg
    0F8BD642-6806-4DD3-BE30-FAB65B9CF0C2.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 7D91965F-4BA1-49CD-BF10-29C484FA65FE.jpg
    7D91965F-4BA1-49CD-BF10-29C484FA65FE.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 75
  • B669CCBD-5E6C-4735-94BA-53C65BBD4E32.jpg
    B669CCBD-5E6C-4735-94BA-53C65BBD4E32.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 80
  • C79DC5BA-0E87-4B40-A520-E497121F8514.jpg
    C79DC5BA-0E87-4B40-A520-E497121F8514.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 78
  • FB23E20A-406F-45EA-9A72-9B9C151FE94A.jpg
    FB23E20A-406F-45EA-9A72-9B9C151FE94A.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 72
That is a salty looking vessel for a sundeck. Don't see clear view screens much in production trawlers. Appears to be an aluminum hull. Thinking there would be rust showing on a steel hull as long as that boat has apparently been sitting. Could you tell us the location of this boat?

That is a salty looking vessel for a sundeck. Don't see clear view screens much in production trawlers. Appears to be an aluminum hull. Thinking there would be rust showing on a steel hull as long as that boat has apparently been sitting. Could you tell us the location of this boat?
The boat is currently on the Tennessee river near to Decatur Alabama. Its been there sense 2018 as far as I can tell from research I have done on it.

At first I think of a Dogger Bank.

The translation makes it something else.
In Dutch, where this ship was designed and probably built, it is type Doggersbank.

If I'm interpreting the original question correctly, you're asking what type of trawler, not about the make or manufacturer.

That's harder to answer. The label "trawler" itself is disputed. Some would insist that if it's not doing commercial trawling for fish, it's not a trawler. Salesmen use the term (loosely) to describe any boat that's big, heavy and slow. Compared to what? That depends.

Beyond that one, there are other labels you can throw at a boat. Trunk cabin, sundeck, flybridge, pilothouse, the list goes on. You sort of need to ignore the labels and just look for the things that interest you. Luckily these days there are lots of web sites selling boats, with lots of pictures. Have at it!

could it be the infamous "MoneyPit" trawler

If I'm interpreting the original question correctly, you're asking what type of trawler, not about the make or manufacturer.

That's harder to answer. The label "trawler" itself is disputed. Some would insist that if it's not doing commercial trawling for fish, it's not a trawler. Salesmen use the term (loosely) to describe any boat that's big, heavy and slow. Compared to what? That depends.

Beyond that one, there are other labels you can throw at a boat. Trunk cabin, sundeck, flybridge, pilothouse, the list goes on. You sort of need to ignore the labels and just look for the things that interest you. Luckily these days there are lots of web sites selling boats, with lots of pictures. Have at it!
I was talking about the brand and also the type, but thank you.

Looks like it has been repurposed from some type of commercial vessel to a personal trawler. Probably a 'one off" from a small manufacturer.

pete

It's a steel boat. Every one is different, and a lot were done by skilled amateurs.

Bruce Roberts sold designs for a lot of boats like this. That one looks pretty big.

The translation makes it something else.
In Dutch, where this ship was designed and probably built, it is type Doggersbank.
Thank you! Its a Doggersbank 1500 (or at least some form of one)

Mistake

Last edited:
They are very seaworthy ships from a renowned design agency! These ships are very strongly built, partly due to the over-seam / jogged construction method. The underwater ship has a beautiful shape, these ships have a large displacement, this makes them comfortable to sail with. If you Google Dogger Bank you will see that there is a diversity model, but they all have one thing in common, they are decent ships built on comfort.

Yes, I have my fingers crossed that I can talk the owner of the one that I showed down to a lower price sense its missing a lot and probably hasn't run in awhile. How much do you think it would cost to repair the engine on one?

I cannot answer that, because the necessary information is lacking.

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. B. That's sorta an open ended question not knowing exactly WHAT make/model/issues with engine are. Might be as simple as a starter motor up to a complete engine replacement. So, $400 to $40,000.
Find out more about the boat and you'll get better answers to specific questions.

Yes, I have my fingers crossed that I can talk the owner of the one that I showed down to a lower price sense its missing a lot and probably hasn't run in awhile. How much do you think it would cost to repair the engine on one?
Based on nothing but the photos, the vessel is at least 40 years old, a ripe old age
for a steel boat that has been indifferently maintained as this one has been. Having
owned such a boat, I would recommend passing on this one no matter the price.

Someone recently posted a YouTube from a couple "C-shels" who cruise the Bahamas on a Tolly 48 with 3208s. One of their engines need a top end and exhaust work. They also did some preventative work on their second engine. Total bill was $66k. Not sure if that was USD or CAD (I think the former - work was in florida and they speculated they may have saved a few bucks if they went north to N. Carolina). Seems like a lot but they did provide a breakdown.

I can't say that's an upper end, but seems like a lot. But it's a solid data point. They were happy with the work and felt they were treated fairly. Gulp....

Peter

I would reccomend a survey , even if you need to replace the motors you need to be sure the hull is worth it , there should be a lot of trawlers or boats in general from the last hurricane in florida if you want a project

Someone recently posted a YouTube from a couple "C-shels" who cruise the Bahamas on a Tolly 48 with 3208s. One of their engines need a top end and exhaust work. They also did some preventative work on their second engine. Total bill was $66k. Not sure if that was USD or CAD (I think the former - work was in florida and they speculated they may have saved a few bucks if they went north to N. Carolina). Seems like a lot but they did provide a breakdown.

I can't say that's an upper end, but seems like a lot. But it's a solid data point. They were happy with the work and felt they were treated fairly. Gulp....

Peter

I saw that video and gulped too. I don't think what they had done was worth what they paid for it. It was $66K US which to me is bordering on a completely new engine cost, not a rebuild.

I own a steel trawler, built in Guatemala in 1998. These vessels are very easy to do repairs to the hull, but should be thoroughly surveyed and the hull THICKNESS tested in a grid pattern of 4-5 inches to first determine viability of the vessel. You get what you get with the rest and any purchase price should reflect the condition of the interior, engines, and electronics. Exterior painting of a boat like this will be close to $100,000. I too, would be intrigued to own a boat like this in excellent shape, but maybe the owner would need to pay you to bring it up to shape.

Steel boats typically rust from the inside out. I would pay attention to how the boat is insulated. If it's not spray foamed, check the bilge for any signs of rust stains coming out from behind the insulation panels.

Back
Top Bottom