Helmsmen 38E rough water handling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crowleykirk

Veteran Member
I could not find this thread so sorry if there are posts already.

We are very seriously considering the Helmsmen 38E. We know she has a Category B rating. We know she is not a Nordhaven or Krogan etc.

We know she will handle more than we possibly could.

I just would like to hear from actual owners how she does in rougher conditions. For now, she will be a Southern California vessel. (let the remarks fly) :) I get it.

We used to have a place in the San Juans but no longer, what an amazing place to boat.

We get mixed swells and waves and will of course we always try for good weather cruises as much as possible.

Just wondering if anyone can give me a heads up at all.

Thanks so much,
Kirk

You probably have figured out there is a lengthy list of threads on Helmsman's.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s64/

If you are interested in Helmsman's you might want to strap in and go through them. Some are epic in length.

My own 38e was delivered in mid-2023 and I'm thankful I do not yet have personal experience with rough water. So I'm the wrong guy to respond on your question. Others have a made a few posts on your question and no doubt will chip in, but I can't recall just which threads.

Feel free to ask away on any questions. You will find the group of owners to be pretty helpful and approachable.

Welcome

Thank you SO much for your response. Yeah, I've been digging my way through. Maybe at some point, we can message eath other. Would you ever be up for a phone chat about your vessel?
Thank you,
Kirk

Kirk:
We have been in very rough weather in our 38E in BC and SE Alaska several times. Normally we would hunker down and wait, but we got caught trying to outrun the front in every occasion. Heavy seas, winds and driving rain. Green water over the bow and windshield. Without a doubt the 38E took the rough and heavy seas without anything failing. Beam and following seas were handled with tacking and some extra throttle. After each rough weather episode, 38E was examined from top to bottom, stem to stern: everything intact, no leaks. Our Keurig took a beathing, though!! But lessons were learned!! Overall: The 38E is a well built, strong and well designed trawler. Those are some of the reasons why I elected to go to a 46.
And Helmsman is an excellent outfit with superior after sales service.
Robert

Hello, that is so good to hear. Sounds like she can handle way more than me. That she came out of that unscathed is good to hear.
Sorry about the Keurig, that's enough to ruin a trip right there:)

I've been talking to Van at Helmsmen for awhile, great company.
I suppose one man's rough see's my be another glassy day.

I figured she would do well with the single-engine and the deep and long keel she has. I do wish there was a provision for a wing engine but I know she handles well because of that single. Base trim for the 38E is now a 380 Cummins and not the 250.

I'd probably add a fuel polishing system to the build. Not much else going to stop that engine.

Again, thanks so much for the replay. I know there is a ton of information here and appreciate yu taking the tie to respond.

Kirk

I'd probably add a fuel polishing system to the build. Not much else going to stop that engine.

Kirk

Don't just take it from me, but I think on research you will find its not necessary with a Cummins QSB.

The fuel pumps deliver much more fuel to the engine than it will burn, and the unused fuel is returned to the tank. With each cycle through of unused fuel its essentially completing a constant fuel polishing process through the standard filters.

Our Keurig took a beathing, though!! But lessons were learned!!
Oh no! Lesson learned... on a cruising boat you need redundancy, especially when it comes to coffee.

I figured she would do well with the single-engine and the deep and long keel she has. I do wish there was a provision for a wing engine but I know she handles well because of that single...
I would say that if you cruise near civilization, then it's not much risk to make TowboatUS your wing engine, especially if you fit a centrifuge fuel polishing system.

oh no! Lesson learned... On a cruising boat you need redundancy, especially when it comes to coffee.

I would say that if you cruise near civilization, then it's not much risk to make towboatus your wing engine, especially if you fit a centrifuge fuel polishing system.

very true:)

Lake Ontario can be rough. Crossing the Amherst Island gaps heading to Kingston with the wind and waves on the 1/4 is not pleasant. Everything not tied down, flies.

Kirk:
We have been in very rough weather in our 38E in BC and SE Alaska several times. Normally we would hunker down and wait, but we got caught trying to outrun the front in every occasion. Heavy seas, winds and driving rain. Green water over the bow and windshield. Without a doubt the 38E took the rough and heavy seas without anything failing. Beam and following seas were handled with tacking and some extra throttle. After each rough weather episode, 38E was examined from top to bottom, stem to stern: everything intact, no leaks. Our Keurig took a beathing, though!! But lessons were learned!! Overall: The 38E is a well built, strong and well designed trawler. Those are some of the reasons why I elected to go to a 46.
And Helmsman is an excellent outfit with superior after sales service.
Robert

I have had similar experiences as Chanprr. I am on the east side of the states. Down by the mouth of the Chesapeake it is wide open to the Atlantic and I times it can get rough. Head seas are no problem. Heavy beam seas you are better of tacking. Haven't been in a bad following sea.

Must be careful though of big power boaters that are not fully on plane. They can make a huge wake. Just be mindful and turn into it and you'll be fine.

Arthur

Back
Top Bottom