Holding tank vent hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SILENTKNIGHT

Vessel Name
STELLA DI MARE
Vessel Make
2006 MAINSHIP 34T
2006 Mainship 34T. It appears to difficult to run a new vent hose, no up to it. I do have a smell after flushing and all the folk on the dock complain.:rolleyes:.. When i nspected the vent line hose ( see photo) i noticed there appears to be a kinked portion at the bend as it goes through the opening . There is no wiggleroom alongside the pump out hose to straighten it out . My solution it to splice into it at the kink a 5/8 barb and route it over the top of thePVC hole or use the hole opening next to it. This would then give me access to back flush when needed. I cant back flush from the starboard side because its not a mushroom vent. But i believe the kink is preventing airflow( its pinched). I just emptied the tank , and i opened the sending unit and used a garden hose to blast the walls and bottom of the tank.

Attachments

• VENT HOSE.jpg
    VENT HOSE.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 13
Greetings,
Mr. S. MY vote would be to use the other opening. If at ALL possible, I would avoid cutting and adding a barbed fitting. The constriction in the fitting may be equal to the kink constriction. Solid, continuous hose.

Probably have to reroute and use a new hose Route through the other opening so you only have to do it once. I too would want to avoid a fitting especially as the vent hose already looks on the small side. It is often easy to use the original hose to pull another new one back through.

That vent hose is simply too small to do any good as far as the smell issue. It may pass a bit of air into the tank while pumping out and thus prevent the tank from collapsing but as far as getting air, oxygen, into the tank it is useless. My advice would be to install a bubbler system to help the tank become aerobic. Then the smell will be gone. The easy route would be to buy a Groco Sweetank system. A lot of people here have made their own system and it is cheaper. By pumping air continuously into the tank your tank will be aerobic not anerobic, so it will not smell when you flush the head. The other solution is to add 2 large vents, 1 to each side of the boat. I did 2 1.5” vents and I have no smell.

My only option on this boat was to add an odor filter to the 5/8-inch hose and to make it easily accessible with threaded end fittings for easy change out. The hard part was the boat yoga required to cut the zip ties holding the vent hose in place WAY over in a corner and pull it to the point where I could cut it to insert the barbs of the two filter end caps. The end result is the filter clipped to the underside of the cockpit deck several inches above the top of the tank with an ascending line up the the mushroom vent.

Attachments

• DSC04676.JPG
    DSC04676.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 1
My only option on this boat was to add an odor filter to the 5/8-inch hose and to make it easily accessible with threaded end fittings for easy change out. The hard part was the boat yoga required to cut the zip ties holding the vent hose in place WAY over in a corner and pull it to the point where I could cut it to insert the barbs of the two filter end caps. The end result is the filter clipped to the underside of the cockpit deck several inches above the top of the tank with an ascending line up the the mushroom vent.
This project is on my "Boat Yoga" winter project list! Not one I'm looking forward to,but as always I gain guidance from the Yoga Guru, Rich Gano! :)

I wish you plenty of good sleep that night via ibuprophen, Bill, cuz this type of yoga will stretch all the muscles you didn't know you had.😒

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom