Horizontal Falls Western Australia Prang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-31/horizontal-falls-tour-boat-crash-maritime-safety/101112852
Horizontal Falls is a narrow opening, tide passes through it at great speed, as do tour boats for tourists and visitors wanting the experience. The flow reverses with change of tide, tides in that area are huge. Unfortunately, one boat seems to have hit the wall. Initial reports of cause were vague, no one thrown out but lots of injuries, some severe requiring RFDS(Royal Flying Doctor Service) evacuation from the remote location on the WA north coast.

The article below provides background for geographical location and characteristics. I've flown over them in a light aircraft, but not been near them on a boat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_Falls

In B.C. they would be termed rapids, although I'm not aware of any rapids in B.C. that have such a height delta over such a short distance to be termed a waterfall.

A couple of weeks ago I was reading about travel advertorial for a cruise company talking about the falls, and highlighting that although they carried a bunch of RIB's, for this particular adrenalin junkie excursion for their cruise boat/small ship they used local commercial operators who had suitable boats and skills. They felt it was too risky for their own boats and crew to be doing it. Traversing at slack tide wouldn't be exciting, but near high or low tide points it would be very scary.

It isn't clear what happened. Perhaps the cruise schedule pushed the envelope around the tide window where delta height & currents were an acceptable risk. Maybe there were then unexpected eddy currents that surprised the boat operator. Given that boat speed needs a good margin above current speed for adequate steerage, it is easy to see it going pear-shaped very quickly. There will be detailed investigation in due course, but it will no doubt take a while. We'll look out for it and post an update when we see it.

Back
Top Bottom