Hydraulic Steering Upper Helm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydrospud

2004 Mainship 400: When steering from the upper helm the wheel has a “klunking” feel. The lower helm wheel turns very smoothly. I’m assuming there is air in the upper helm hydraulic system. Questions:
Is this a simple matter of topping off the upper helm hydraulic system?
What type of hydraulic fluid should I use? I have no idea what is currently in the system.
I crawled all over this boat during the winter and did not see any leaks although I was not specifically looking for one. I will be thoroughly inspecting the steering system for leaks when I get back down this week.
Suggestions?

It sounds like air. Generally what happens is that the wheel at times feels free. It can just spin or for a second no tension and then tension. Thats the air bubbles passing though the steering wheel.

At the flybridge helm there should be a port to add oil. Do you know how its done? Otherwise I can explain it.

Last edited:
If you catch it early, you can add fluid and get by without bleeding (small amounts of air will find work their way into the reserve fluid), that said, bleeding the system isn't that hard and you will likely be pleased with the improved responsiveness from the upper helm.

I would add fluid first see how it goes but if you are finding the lower station to steer better than the upper, you really want to bleed the air out at the ram.

Last edited:
What system do you have? THat would help with specific recommendations about oil and what to do.

A Hynautic system may need the oil topped up and or the air pressure restored. Apparently without the air pressure the system will not work properly.

A Wagner or another mfgr. may simply need oil added. In these cases the vent
atop the upper pump is the access point for oil top ups.

And yes a vent of some kind is needed at the top pump on units other than the Hynautics. Without the vent in such as Wagners air temp and pressure changes may force leaks.

Last edited:
It does sound like air in the system. As said above find out the manufacturer and see what they recommend for fluid. Usually pretty easy to bleed the system.

Back
Top Bottom