I need some help and advice on Radar mast placement and radar operation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just addressed the gizzard-cutter wire issue on Phelps. I fabricated my Bimini frame to go all the way back
To my mast ( midship on the bridge) on a boat looks exactly like Sands. I bolted the mast to the top bow. And "triangulated" for strength. I don't at present plan radar, but I'll comment on the fwd-only. Out in the shipping lanes, it's nice to know what's catching you....
Now, how do I attach a pic?

I remember going through the Panama Canal rafted next to a container ship. The deck hands on the ship standing on a cargo gate on the forward hull asked me to shut down the radar (which I should have done beforehand anyway).

I've gotten explicit requests to make sure the radar was off in several commercial locks. The staff don't want to be directly in front of an active array. Understandable with commercial equipment, though my 18" isn't much of a threat.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

One last thought on arch design - it might be helpful to measure how much your bow comes up at cruise speed. Then consider designing the arch such that the platform is level at cruise speed, sloping forward at rest.

Alternatively you can shim the radar, of course. Just throwing out the idea of doing it for the arch instead. I don't know if it's common or not.

One last thought on arch design - it might be helpful to measure how much your bow comes up at cruise speed. Then consider designing the arch such that the platform is level at cruise speed, sloping forward at rest.

Alternatively you can shim the radar, of course. Just throwing out the idea of doing it for the arch instead. I don't know if it's common or not.

Great point. I will have to put an inclinometer fastened down to some reference point and observe next time I go out. I dont think the pitch changes much but I was never really paying much attention.

Great point. I will have to put an inclinometer fastened down to some reference point and observe next time I go out. I dont think the pitch changes much but I was never really paying much attention.
I use an app on my phone. All you need to determine is the delta between resting and cruise.

Back
Top Bottom