Insurance on a 42-year-old 49’ DeFever raised pilothouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tvail

We have a potential buyer for The Secret but they are having trouble finding insurance. BoatUS, which is our carrier, has turned him down. His experience is on a 30’ power boat, so it could be both the boat age and them figuring it is too big a jump for him. Not sure?

He has applied with State Farm but has not heard back from them.

If you have a more mature boat, one in the 40+ year range, who are you getting your coverage with? Any brokers you know who may be willing to help?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

We are under contract on a 37yo boat. Liz at insuretheboat.com quoted us on a policy that allows the boat to be in Florida (with a significant deductible for named storms). Policy is much less than I anticipated. She quoted another policy for when we move the boat out of Florida, less inexpensive but also less deductible.

My Viking 43' is a 1976. Insured with BoatUS/Geico. Maybe operator experience as you suggest. I was dropped by my then insuror (Offshore Risk Management) who had insured the boat for years due to the boat's age in 2017. Thought I was in trouble, but had a half-dozen new quotes in a week, BoatUS being one. With them ever since.

I've never had a problem with obtaining insurance for the Viking - just paying for it. I assume home porting in New Orleans is comparable to Florida as far as insurors are concerned. Maybe not, but sure not a positive. Actually, you didn't state the boat's location - my assumption.

Back
Top Bottom