JD6404 - new raw water pump arrangement.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick F

Guru
Vessel Name
Callisto
Vessel Make
1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hull 433
I intensely dislike the way the belt driven Oberdorfer pump is mounted and have just completed the trial hookup of a crankshaft driven pump from Johnson. Just started the engine three days ago and so far I am very pleased. Here are some pictures and a video. As can be seen, the impeller can now be easily changed out. I also have better access to get my arm under the engine when required.

Whoops it appears that I cannot upload a video. Pity - I really liked the video! Go to GB Owners Facebook group to see it.

Attachments

• IMG_4873.jpg
    IMG_4873.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4874.jpg
    IMG_4874.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4875.jpg
    IMG_4875.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4876.jpg
    IMG_4876.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 67
I intensely dislike the way the belt driven Oberdorfer pump is mounted and have just completed the trial hookup of a crankshaft driven pump from Johnson. Just started the engine three days ago and so far I am very pleased. Here are some pictures and a video. As can be seen, the impeller can now be easily changed out. I also have better access to get my arm under the engine when required.

Whoops it appears that I cannot upload a video. Pity - I really liked the video! Go to GB Owners Facebook group to see it.

Thanks for posting - looks great. Is the thin bar bolted to it the only thing stopping the whole pump from rotating besides the hoses themselves? Always wondered how that’s done on direct drive pumps!

Yes - my temporary torque arm is the thin aluminum flat bar. In fact, the torque never exceeded the residual pull of the hoses at up to 1700rpm.

Back
Top Bottom