John Deere 404 raw water pump source?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrawlerDavid

Veteran Member
We just pulled the raw water pumps on my 1976 GB 36, which appear to be the original 1976 Sherwood pumps for the marinized John Deere 404 twins. Boat is new to me this year, and appears that the seals were leaking for quite a while and significant corrosion. Ideal would be to replace with new raw water pumps, but finding it a challenge to locate the same Sherwood pump new. Anyone with an older GB with the John Deere 404 engines replace the raw water pumps with new Sherwood pumps that are the same, rather than rebuild? If so, what was the source for the new Sherwood pumps? Or is the only option another rebuild of the original pump? Thanks in advance for the shared wisdom and experience.

I would think you could walk your pump into your marina store to match up a new pump. You typically use the old pulley so it’s just a matter of the mounting holes. I would rebuild the old one as a spare if possible. The other possibility (more costly) is to hire someone for custom mounting for the new pump or attempt yourself. A picture of your mounted pump might help-someone on the forum might have your same engine and had it converted to a new pump without even knowing it.

I would think you could walk your pump into your marina store to match up a new pump. You typically use the old pulley so it’s just a matter of the mounting holes. I would rebuild the old one as a spare if possible. The other possibility (more costly) is to hire someone for custom mounting for the new pump or attempt yourself. A picture of your mounted pump might help-someone on the forum might have your same engine and had it converted to a new pump without even knowing it.
Thanks. My engine tech is very knowledgeable and looked into finding a replacement that could use the same bolt placements and didn't find anything close to the 1976 pump model. Could be re-engineered for a new pump but for now hoping to avoid that. Good reminder to take and attch photos for a question like this.

We just pulled the raw water pumps on my 1976 GB 36, which appear to be the original 1976 Sherwood pumps for the marinized John Deere 404 twins. Boat is new to me this year, and appears that the seals were leaking for quite a while and significant corrosion. Ideal would be to replace with new raw water pumps, but finding it a challenge to locate the same Sherwood pump new. Anyone with an older GB with the John Deere 404 engines replace the raw water pumps with new Sherwood pumps that are the same, rather than rebuild? If so, what was the source for the new Sherwood pumps? Or is the only option another rebuild of the original pump? Thanks in advance for the shared wisdom and experience.
Original pumps were Oberdorfer, not Sherwood. I replaced mine with Johnson crankshaft mounted pumps and am very happy with the result See other threads on this and also a full description on the Facebook GB owners page.

Original pumps were Oberdorfer, not Sherwood. I replaced mine with Johnson crankshaft mounted pumps and am very happy with the result See other threads on this and also a full description on the Facebook GB owners page.
Thanks very much for the excellent information.

Not Sherwood pump, turns out. Machine shop identified as Oberdorfer 402M-03. Replacement available from marine pump warehouse. Going with new rather than rebuild given overall condition of current pump.

For anyone interested, here is the link to my post on the alternate pump replacement.

Back
Top Bottom