July 4th Lake Union festivities from the boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydraulicjump

Vessel Name
Off Leash
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38e
This question is obviously for the Seattle-area boaters. If we were foolish enough to go through the Ballard Locks and want to spend the evening watching July 4th fireworks from the flybridge, is there a place to anchor out to watch the show or are you pretty much stuck motoring around? And if you wanted to avoid heading back through the locks late at night, where might you drop the hook?

I have this feeling that to locals this may be a very dumb question, but although we have been messing around up there for more than a decade, the idea of dealing with the chaos on the 4th--described to us once as the Drunken Boater Bacchanalia--scared us off.

They have Lk union organized into rows of boats and you MUST anchor. Still a zoo, especially afterwards.

I have this feeling that to locals this may be a very dumb question, but although we have been messing around up there for more than a decade, the idea of dealing with the chaos on the 4th--described to us once as the Drunken Boater Bacchanalia--scared us off.
Did it once long ago; never again...and I had a slip in Ballard, inside the Locks!

You just anchor. Some folks will make a day of it and anchor up early and BBQ. There is a restricted area around the fireworks barge that is a no go zone but other than that it's pretty open. Forgot setting a 7:1 scope you'll just foul anchors with someone setting a 3:1 in front of you. If it's windy go 4:1 and if light or no wind 3:1 and be prepared to adjust to 2.5:1 or 2:1. If you're lucky you'll get next to an experienced boater that is comforted in close quarters. When it gets close to showtime more boats will plug holes. If it looks like you and a neighbor may bump in a wind shift just communicate that you'll both watch for it and have a bumper ready. Maybe on one of you will have an inflatable dinghy in the water that you can side tie as bumper. Trying to move and re-anchor can be a challenge close to showtime so just try to make the best of your situation. If I have a choice I'll try to anchor next to a sailboat that looks like it cruises vs a credit card captain on a power boat.

I am not sure if the police allow it now but on New Year's and the 4th you use to be able to stay anchored over night in the lake. Guest moorage is pretty limited in the lake but there are some places around south lake union that might work out by the restaurants or maritime museum.

Sometimes some genius will light off a parachute flare, so I keep a paddle/oar at the ready to swat one away from the boat. I also keep a buck of water on deck at the ready for the unexpected.

Best location is upwind of the barge or off the wind so the smoke from the fireworks don't block the view. It's usually an impressive show and if you're up close you'll probably feel the shockwaves from the explosions. You definitely know you're not sitting on the couch watching TV when you hear the big booms and the shockwave hits our chest. If you have a choice between the eastside of the lake and west I'd choose west since there seems to be a little less boat traffic to me. There is a contingent of folks that come over from the eastside so it seems like a higher density of boats headed back east vs. boats headed towards the canal.

The locks are well lit at night so not really any additional challenge at night.

You are making this sound so...."fun"? But I appreciate the input here.

Everyone should do it at least once. I do it once every 10 years. I recommend you spend the night on the anchor and head out the next morning.

The worst that is going to happen is a dinghy load of naked guys will drive by your boat shouting woo-hoo with glee. Yes that happened to me one year. If you enjoy fireworks it's a pretty cool way to see a big show up close.

Back
Top Bottom