Log Book App/Software

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OPUS

Vessel Name
Opus
Vessel Make
44 Tiara Sovran
Can anyone recommend an iPad app or a windows based program suitable for a owner run and maintained MY? I currently use a manual, on boat, logbook for recording trips and a series of 3 ring binders for my manuals, maintenance, marina bills etc which are stored at home.
My wish list would include an app/program that handles typical captains log info, fuel cost/use, maintenance scheduling and costs, parts inventory, vendor/contact info, electronic manuals and maintenance related pictures.
I have tried Boating Suite and Logbook (geared towards sailing) which are both available in the App Store. Neither meet current my needs and will certainly not support our move in the next 2 years to a live aboard trawler. Recommendations are appreciated

I have every manual for the boat in electronic format on a small laptop I carry aboard. That's one part of your problem solved. I got them off the internet (90 %) or scanned them.

I have an extensive Excel spreadsheet for maintenance. I log everything I do to the boat chronologically on a page with columns for date/description/system designator (i.e. "M" for main engine)/hour meter reading/cost. Another page lists all preventive maintenance actions starting with the main engine then generator and on and on down to when to replace flashlight batteries. Columns on this page are Item/date/hours/next due. The hours or date for next maintenance due are auto-calculating for each item based on what the manuals say. In order to find out what might be due, I simply enter in the appropriate box at the top of the page the current date and hour meter reading at which time the yellow high-lighted word "DUE" shows up the the right of the line line items. I can look ahead by entering a future date or anticipated hour meter reading at the top of the page.

Back when I wanted a trip log, I just wrote onto printed blank log pages I kept in a binder. If I had a smartphone (DON'T go there!), I'd probably just use a voice recording app which I could later edit and print out.

OPUS, send a PM to Juliet 15. He has a very comprehensive excel spreadsheet logbook that you can tailor to your needs.

uh oh. geeks vs luddites again?

OPUS

I'm facing the same project and scratching around for solutions. Please share your findings if you're inclined (PM would be fine).

Seabag

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom