Longevity of a polyurethane 2 pac paint job?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralsy

If painted epoxy 2 pac undercoat and polyurethane 2 pac top coat well applied how and regularly waxed how long would you expect before s repaint?

From my (first) experience with a painted hull (Awlcraft) I will say the need for repaint is not time dependent. I see very little affect of UV overall. No color fade, etc.
The need comes from dock / lock rash and frequent use of fenders in dirty situations. I had a crack in gel coat due to a stress riser near an interior bulkhead. After reinforcing the area from I side I repaired the outside faired, primed and touched up exterior and the match was perfect after 10 yrs.
Some systems use / allow a clear coat as the final surface and that makes very similar to an auto finish.
How often do you need to repaint your car?
Not very often unless it tangles with something?
I think the care is easier than Gelcoat but some finishes recommend specific polishes and no buffers / buffing etc. (Awlgrip / Awlcraft) can't speak for others.
I helped a friend that had spray equipment do my touch up and then to do a stripe on his gel coated hull. It is not all that hard if you have the equipment and any experience with a spray gun. It's all in the surface prep!

In the PNW you get about 20 years before the gloss goes away. If you keep it in a boat house you get a lot longer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom