Looking for flexible hidden staple crown molding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Takoradi

Vessel Name
The Janie C
Vessel Make
Uniflite 42
Hello All,

I am redoing the master cabin on my Uniflite 42 and am in need of the vinyl trim strip that covers the headliner staples. It's not specific to Uniflite as I'm sure they were used on many yacht cabins. The original is a "flap over" design that allows you to staple part of it while the other part flaps down to cover the staples. Attached is a picture of the original. I've tried Tim and SeaCure in Seattle and all the usual suspects (including the minions @ Amazon and Google) and as they say in my country, "I have met it's absence". Any sourcing ideas would be welcome.

Tak

Attachments

• hidden fastener crown molding.jpg
    hidden fastener crown molding.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 58
  • hidden fastener crown molding SMALL.jpg
    hidden fastener crown molding SMALL.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 183
That is where I would start.

They came under the heading “usual suspects” LOL

Thank you. It’s close but too thin. There’s also a fabric product called “Hidem” designed to hide fasteners in fabric. Again too thin to work.

Tak

Hidem is not thin. It is two folds over a backer and the folds have simulated stitching. You spread its lips and staple inside.

Now that we know the proper name “hidem”, try Amazon.

Hidem is easy to find but it wouldn’t work as ceiling trim. It’s as close as I’ve come though. Still looking.

Thanks.

Brad

Does it have a 'hook' of sorts that the folding-over, cover portion snaps under? Like how they put covering onto wiring channels (panduit being one brand). Though wiring channels have a bottom and a snap-in/over cover and don't seem like they'd be at all the right solution here. Just trying to better envision the stuff you've got. It's a one-piece extrusion, right? Folding over itself?

But you're spot-on regarding knowing the proper names for things. Searching for anything online can be nearly impossible if you don't know the right 'trade terms' for specialized stuff like this.

When I search on uniflite it does bring up https://www.unifliteparts.com/ and I'm assuming they were part of your 'usual suspects'? I find that sometimes calling people that handle 'most' things for a given item usually have someone in the support department that at least knows the NAME of the thing. Which is often the KEY to unlocking search results.

Also helps to use the 'image' view of search results.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=upholstery+staple+cover+vinyl+trim&qs=n&form=QBIRMH&first=1

Does it have a 'hook' of sorts that the folding-over, cover portion snaps under? Like how they put covering onto wiring channels (panduit being one brand). Though wiring channels have a bottom and a snap-in/over cover and don't seem like they'd be at all the right solution here. Just trying to better envision the stuff you've got. It's a one-piece extrusion, right? Folding over itself?

But you're spot-on regarding knowing the proper names for things. Searching for anything online can be nearly impossible if you don't know the right 'trade terms' for specialized stuff like this.

When I search on uniflite it does bring up https://www.unifliteparts.com/ and I'm assuming they were part of your 'usual suspects'? I find that sometimes calling people that handle 'most' things for a given item usually have someone in the support department that at least knows the NAME of the thing. Which is often the KEY to unlocking search results.

Also helps to use the 'image' view of search results.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=upholstery+staple+cover+vinyl+trim&qs=n&form=QBIRMH&first=1

Yes, there is a very small ridge that you push the bottom part under. Tim @ SeaCure (Uniflite parts) is usually very helpful but we struck out this time. He referred me to a Tacoma company they’d bought some from years ago, but they didn’t remember the product much less the manufacturer.

May have to makey-do (as they say in my country) with some vinyl hidem.

Tak

There's a Uniflite group on FB too. https://www.facebook.com/Uniflite/

As materials and techniques change/improve some of the materials they "had to use" once upon a time become impossible to find, due to the current methods being cheaper/easier to put together.

And no doubt someone, somewhere, has a whole spool of that stuff just gathering dust.

Yes, there is a very small ridge that you push the bottom part under. Tim @ SeaCure (Uniflite parts) is usually very helpful but we struck out this time. He referred me to a Tacoma company they’d bought some from years ago, but they didn’t remember the product much less the manufacturer.

Any kind of terms or words they used to describe the piece? I love a good puzzle but nothing is coming up for ALL KINDS of search terms.

Obviously this is not it, but I knew I'd seen a cable raceway product that was kind of shaped like that: https://www.d-line-it.com/us/raceway/

Hello All,

I am redoing the master cabin on my Uniflite 42 and am in need of the vinyl trim strip that covers the headliner staples. It's not specific to Uniflite as I'm sure they were used on many yacht cabins. The original is a "flap over" design that allows you to staple part of it while the other part flaps down to cover the staples. Attached is a picture of the original. I've tried Tim and SeaCure in Seattle and all the usual suspects (including the minions @ Amazon and Google) and as they say in my country, "I have met it's absence". Any sourcing ideas would be welcome.

Tak
I redid a '65 Uniflite about 10 years ago. It had that same snap-in vinyl trim covering the staples on the headliner. I spent weeks looking for replacement and as far as I know it is no longer made. I very carefully removed and re-used the trim when I replaced the headliner.

Try "Hidem Gimp" at SailRite. Not the same but will cover the staples and appear as a double sewn seam. If it's not too wide it should work. Comes in various colors.

I redid a '65 Uniflite about 10 years ago. It had that same snap-in vinyl trim covering the staples on the headliner. I spent weeks looking for replacement and as far as I know it is no longer made. I very carefully removed and re-used the trim when I replaced the headliner.
Great planning on your part. For my part, I dangerously assumed such a useful item would still be in production and tossed out all mine! I just ordered some Hidem as a "makey do" until I can locate something better. Thanks for the note. Makes it easier to stop looking for something that's not there.

Tak

Any kind of terms or words they used to describe the piece? I love a good puzzle but nothing is coming up for ALL KINDS of search terms.

Obviously this is not it, but I knew I'd seen a cable raceway product that was kind of shaped like that: https://www.d-line-it.com/us/raceway/
Thank you. That's pretty damn close though. I've worked with similar products and they'd be perfect except for their rigidity. I have two ~100 degree curves in the cabin and don't think this would do that.

I've tried variations of "flexible crown molding hidden fastener trim" in my searches.

Tak

For the electrical conduit have you considered a heat gun to soften the stuff for bending?
Make a mould for the bends, needn't be fancy.

I would suggest a good gun with adjustable temps. I have a a single temp gun and it is quite easy to over do the heating. FOr anything critical I use my adjustable temp gun and with some practice can get a good bend, maybe not perfect but maybe better than not getting anything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom