Low Pressure Fuel Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbouch

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with replacing the lift fuel pump on a perkins 6.3455 engine. When I got the new fuel pump there were two small rubber rings supplied with it. When I inquired about these I was told that on some pumps they were required. I was told that mine did not...so why did they send them??..I installed the pump and related fuel lines. The fuel line had a compression fitting at the end.. I was never able to stop it from weeping fuel. Not really dripping, weeping. I went back to the company that I bought it from and they said it was certainly needed for proper installation. Anyone else come across this situation.

It's certainly common for lift pumps to fit a number of engines and common to have some parts that aren't used on all engine applications. The rubber rings are probably a negligible cost and including the parts for different applications reduces the number of variations of that pump that need to be stocked.

Ted

Perkins calls the rubber rings "olives". That term is usually used for the bulb on the end of an injector pipe. I'm not familiar with the 6.3544 but I have 6.354MGT's and they do use the olives. The fittings look like compression fittings but they aren't, the olives make the seal. Put one on the end of the pipe before installing it into the pump housing then tighten the nut.

Can you send pictures? What is your engine serial number? Especially the first two letters?

Can you post a picturenofnthe ends of the fuel lines thst go into the pump? Perhaps with the nut slid back? That will tell.

Most Perkins do use the olives kn the pump, but that can change over time. It really depends upon those hard lines.

Thank you..the old one was missing..probably why it leaked . Thanks

So a significant amount of time has elapsed and I still have a fuel drip on the guy yelling line going into the fuel pump. That would be the 90 degree fitting into which the flexible connects. I decided to put in a new 90 degree fitting along with a new rubber bushing that came with it. I found that the fitting was loose. What’s able to tighten it about 1 fill turn. If ur to the flex hose hanging on the fitting I think it could looses up again. Can I put thread lock on the fitting trying to keep it in place??

Back
Top Bottom