Maretron N2kView with Yacht Devices & Actisense adapters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

x2y3z4

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
SeaRose
Vessel Make
Alaskan 68
I have an NMEA2000 backbone installed and use a permanently installed navigation computer (Windows11) with two 24" touchscreens for TimeZero in the PilotHouse.
The data from the Simrad system (NMEA0183) that is also installed is converted to the NMEA2000 network and a CerboGX also provides data to the NMEA2000 network. The computer is connected to the NMEA2000 network with an Actisense NGT-1.
Now I have integrated the Cat engine data via two Yacht Devices adapter (YDEG-04) into the NMEA2000 as well.

Is it possible to use the software from Maretron (N2kView) to display the engine information?
In my opinion, N2kView displays all data from the NMEA2000 network. Possibly I still need a NMEA2000 to USB adapter from Maretron?

I have an NMEA2000 backbone installed and use a permanently installed navigation computer (Windows11) with two 24" touchscreens for TimeZero in the PilotHouse.
The data from the Simrad system (NMEA0183) that is also installed is converted to the NMEA2000 network and a CerboGX also provides data to the NMEA2000 network. The computer is connected to the NMEA2000 network with an Actisense NGT-1.
Now I have integrated the Cat engine data via two Yacht Devices adapter (YDEG-04) into the NMEA2000 as well.

Is it possible to use the software from Maretron (N2kView) to display the engine information?
In my opinion, N2kView displays all data from the NMEA2000 network. Possibly I still need a NMEA2000 to USB adapter from Maretron?

N2KView requires either a USB100 (N2k to USB) or an IPG100 (N2K to ethernet). I highly recommend the IPG100 over the USB100. The USB100 is less expensive, but it is only good for one computer at one time. With the IPG100, and computer on the network can use it at the same time, limited only by licensing. So, for example, you can run N2KView on one computer, N2KAnalyze on a different computer(s), and also run the Maretron Mobile app, all at the same time.

...and using IPG100 will show data served by YD to NMEA2000 within N2kView?

Not a direct answer but an alternative to Maretron would be signalK running on the Cerbo (pi) and something like InfluxDB/Grafana or WilhelmSK to display in the helm, on an iPad by the nightstand, etc

https://seabits.com/engine-and-power-dashboards/amp/

This is the direction I’m headed for engine/tankage/historical monitoring

I think this is a great option of you have the technical background to piece it all together.

...and using IPG100 will show data served by YD to NMEA2000 within N2kView?

Well, that's a difficult question to answer. There are some fundamental incompatibilities between the way that Maretron selects data on the network to display, and how everyone else does it. This can lead to data that can't be displayed on Maretron, or data that is displayed, but you can't really be certain where it's coming from. It's definitely an issue with Victron, and I don't know about YD. It's one of the most frustrating things about N2K that there is no enforced standard way to do this.

Sorry I can't give you a happier answer.

I invested 2,5 days in getting closer and building instruments on SignalK before I checked the version history of SignalK. Plus I did not understand why it is necessary to code for the simplest things e.g. green, yellow and red area of display instruments. I mean, hundreds of users have already done that. People have been using code snippets and implementing them for years.

Is it a "living" platform which get's frequent updates or is there just life in it because there are users not finding a way to step out?

So I came to the decision to use N2kView - in exchange for my naturally limited lifetime ;-)

I come back to my question: May I display on N2kView with Maretron IPG100 the engine data supplied on the NMEA2000 network by the Yacht Devices adapters (YDEG-04)?

I invested 2,5 days in getting closer and building instruments on SignalK before I checked the version history of SignalK. Plus I did not understand why it is necessary to code for the simplest things e.g. green, yellow and red area of display instruments. I mean, hundreds of users have already done that. People have been using code snippets and implementing them for years.

Is it a "living" platform which get's frequent updates or is there just life in it because there are users not finding a way to step out?

So I came to the decision to use N2kView - in exchange for my naturally limited lifetime ;-)

I come back to my question: May I display on N2kView with Maretron IPG100 the engine data supplied on the NMEA2000 network by the Yacht Devices adapters (YDEG-04)?

I think the answer to that is Yes. I haven’t tried the YDEG specifically, but have used other J1939 to N2K devices successfully.

I’m using a YDEG-04 with N2KView, works fine.

A fascinating discussion, none of which I remotely understood, but so glad we have such a deep resource of experts on so many topics on this awesome forum.
~A

I have old NA engine data coming to N2K through a Chetco Seagauge connected from the analogue display panels at the helm.
Then through to Cerbo and IPG100 on the n2k bus, with the Cerbo running Signal K (to eventually pull off the data into the NUC for longterm) and the IPG into the router for access by devices.
Various devices (tablet, NUC, mobile phone) can run N2kview and can see the engine revs, etc., so the answer is "yes" (not using Yacht Devices though).
I won't claim they're accurate readings yet as I haven't got around to calibrating (too many things on!), but they definitely show up in the N2kview. Next after calibration is installing the simple EGT into the Chetco.

Once the engine data is on the N2K network, it should be possible to display it on just about any device. If you have a Maretron screen somewhere on the network, you should see this engine data.

I’m assuming you want to run N2KView on your Win11 computers? If so, you’ll need the IPG100 device which should come with a license for the full version of N2KView. Then all you need to do is configure the N2KView screen(s) with whatever data you wish to display.

Yes. I ran Yanmar engine data thru Maretron EMS-100 modules to Maretron N2K View displaying engine data and EVERYTHING else on the N2K network. I displayed it on a pc, a tablet and my android phone. Including Yacht Devices AIS and 0183 interfaced components. IPG is the way to go. I loved glancing at my Samsung tablet (wifi to IPG) while laying in bed at anchor and seeing every sensor on my boat. Wind, depth, boat position in the anchor radius, house bank SOC. N2K is robust and plug-n-play. 0183 interfacing was not difficult. 25 yo Simrad Robinson autopilot played nice with new Garmin plotter thru N2K.

Once the engine data is on the N2K network, it should be possible to display it on just about any device. If you have a Maretron screen somewhere on the network, you should see this engine data.

I’m assuming you want to run N2KView on your Win11 computers? If so, you’ll need the IPG100 device which should come with a license for the full version of N2KView. Then all you need to do is configure the N2KView screen(s) with whatever data you wish to display.

I don't believe an IPG100 includes an N2KView license. You can plug an N2KView License USB stick into an IPG100 to make the license available to any device on the network (one at a time), but I believe you need to buy it separately. At least that's what I have always had to do.

I don't believe an IPG100 includes an N2KView license. You can plug an N2KView License USB stick into an IPG100 to make the license available to any device on the network (one at a time), but I believe you need to buy it separately. At least that's what I have always had to do.

Agree. That's what we have had to do on Mobius, too. We bought both the IPG-100 and the software N2K View. We're using the Antisense EMU-1 on the Gardner engine.

Back
Top Bottom