Marine sanitation advice request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billblack

Vessel Name
Sampson
Vessel Make
1987 trawler by Freeport Shipbuilding, Freeport Florida
Hi folks. I am in search of some guidance on Type 2 MSD systems or perhaps suggestions for some better plan.

I recently purchased a 96' steel work vessel that is currently flagged in the Bahamas. We'll be moving her to the US (Florida) in a couple of weeks and I need to make <much> better sanitation arrangements. She has 6 cabins with one head downstairs with a 50(ish) gallon holding tank and an upstairs head that is plumbed to evacuate overboard. Prior to her arrival in US waters, I will put the upstairs head out of commission (possibly just remove the toilet from the plumbing completely) so as to have no arguments with the USCG. I am currently looking at two possibilities - a marine incinerating toilet or an MSD Type 2 like an Ahead Tank by Ahead Sanitation Systems ( aheadsanitationsystems.com) or a Marine Fast LX by Scienco (Scienco/FAST - marine wastewater, marine sewage, marine sanitation, & ballast water onboard Ships | Type II Marine Sanitation Devices...Affordable, Adaptable, FAST).

The incinerating toilets have a good bit more power demand than I would like, but we do have adequate generators aboard. She has freshwater tanks for 2400 gallons and a 1000 gpd watermaker so fresh water is not an issue.

I would appreciate any guidance from someone who has first hand experience with either system.

What is the best bang for the operation and maintenance buck?

Thanks in advance!!

Bill Black

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an Ahead Type 2 system in a couple tugs. Almost zero maintenance. When you originally plumb the tank, set it up so it's easy to drain if you need repairs. I never had any. They also carry a much better brand of marine toilets. The guy (don't remember his name) at boat shows and usually answers the phone is very knowledgeable and helpful. I don't use Ahead on on my current boat because no discharge zones becoming are becoming too popular.

I have 2 Incinolet toilets. My Magnum inverter setup will handle them when not running a generator. If the battery bank gets low, the inverter will start a generator, charge, and then shut off. You need to plumb the exhaust with some thought to avoid it coming onboard. It doesn't smell like sewage, maybe like burning grass. I have heard some yachties complain about the exhaust, my guess is bad installation. I have a long exhaust run, up 2 decks, and use an additional blower. Partly because of the long run and I use 3" plastic pipe instead of 4". The additional blower is near the top and the pipe exhausts to the side. The add'l blower helps keep it away. Blower is just a standard bilge blower, turned on when the toilet is activated via a relay.

With more than one person, the ash has to be dumped daily. It doesn't smell, just gray ash like from a fireplace. The blower wheel needs cleaning every 6 months. It will have a buildup if not cleaned will become like creosote. I have a spare wheel. I have had no failures in 10 years. I will never own a standard marine toilet again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom