Mercury 2 cycle 9.9 outboard leftover bolts (?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michigander

I replaced the reed valves and carburetor on my 1988 Mercury 9.9 2 cycle outboard. I also took the lower unit off to check the condition of it and the water pump. It's been about a year ago that I took everything apart. Now I finally put it all back together and I have 2 leftover bolts. They are both 10 mm stainless steel and are 1.25 inches long. I cannot figure out where they go and cannot find any in the parts manual that match for the lower unit or carburetor and reed valve assemblies. Does anyone know if Mercury used SS bolts anywhere other than in the lower unit. I may need to take it apart again. (I'd much rather be missing parts than have leftovers)

I have been known to toss in extra hardware on unsuspecting messy technicians. It’s a life lesson about organization. Did you perhaps toss in extras one day because you were in to big of a hurry?

Did you put the 2 bolts in from the bottom on the lower unit? Part number 42 on page 30.

My parts breakdown doesn't list bolt size.
20240720_140238.jpg
20240720_141404.jpg
20240720_141442.jpg

Ted

I have been known to toss in extra hardware on unsuspecting messy technicians. It’s a life lesson about organization. Did you perhaps toss in extras one day because you were in to big of a hurry?
I'm sure I put all the compartments of cupcake
I placed all the parts in the compartments of a cupcake baking pan and I'm the only one that has access to it. I wish there was a possibility of me or someone else putting extras in the pan but I'm sure that is not the case. Plus, these are metric and stainless steel and I don't own anything that's metric or SS.

Did you put the 2 bolts in from the bottom on the lower unit? Part number 42 on page 30.

My parts breakdown doesn't list bolt size.View attachment 156650View attachment 156651View attachment 156652

Ted
The bolts you mentioned are 13 mm and are in place. The extras I have are 10 mm and since they're metric and stainless steel, I know they weren't added to the parts I took off the motor because I don't have any like them. The ones on page 29, item 33, look like they may be the same. Unfortunately, I'll need to pull it apart again to see if I forgot to install some bolts. (Being old ain't fun).

Just to be clear - 10mm socket or 10mm threads?
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's 10 mm socket wrench. A nut that takes a 1/2 inch wrench is close in size and the closest standard thread gage is 20 threads per inch.

Those are M6X1 (6mm diameter, 1 thread per millimeter) bolts which typically have a 10mm head. They are many of them in the 30mm length in a 9.9 two stroke Mercury. If the motor was ever converted to remote control, electric start, or remote steering the conversion kits would likely have a bunch of those bolts and some don't always get used depending on the particular model and year of the motor. They are also used to attach an optional alternator coil to the engine. Additionally, if you removed the tiller, you may have some leftover bolts like that too. Just brain storming...

Back
Top Bottom