MOB Engine cut off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPMyers

Vessel Name
Relentless
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
Has anyone installed an engine cut off switch on an older trawler with duel helms? I like to solo, so falling overboard could be problematic. My boat is 36', 1975 Marine Trader with a 130 hp John Deere. In my search I can only a switch that installs on boats with kill switches with lanyards..
Thanks.

Does your John Deere have a stop solenoid? If so, most systems will work.

Here's a article that lists several wireless MOB systems.

https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/story/gear/wireless-man-overboard-systems/

I will be using one of these systems.

Bruce

Has anyone installed an engine cut off switch on an older trawler with duel helms? I like to solo, so falling overboard could be problematic. My boat is 36', 1975 Marine Trader with a 130 hp John Deere. In my search I can only a switch that installs on boats with kill switches with lanyards..
Thanks.

It has stop buttons at both the upper and lower helm. It can be stopped at either station regardless of where the key is turned on. I looked at the article. It seems these units use existing kill switch wiring, which I do not have.

Your stop buttons should be compatible with some of the systems. Most engines stop by tripping a solenoid to cut the fuel to the engine. The circuit can either be normally open (NO) meaning no power is applied to the solenoid until you push the stop button or normally closed (NC) meaning that the solenoid is powered until you interrupt the circuit by pressing the stop button.

I looked at the installation instructions for the Fells Marine MOB+ Basepack

https://www.fellmarine.com/eu/manuals/

It looks compatible with any push button stop system. However, having dual helm stop buttons might complicate the wiring.

Bruce

It has stop buttons at both the upper and lower helm. It can be stopped at either station regardless of where the key is turned on. I looked at the article. It seems these units use existing kill switch wiring, which I do not have.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will contact several of the companies to see if they have a procedure for wiring duel stations.
Thanks

An update on this thread.

I've installed a Fell Marine MOB+ on my flybridge engine controls. My stop engine solenoid is normally open (NO). The 12+ going into the stop button is fed into the xHub on the gray wire using a wire tap connector. The output wire, orange for my setup, is wire tapped into the output wire on the stop button.

The original stop button still works at either helm station. The engine can also be turned off by pressing the xFob. Because my system is normally open, the stop button on the xHub will not stop the engine.

The MOB+ will not permit the engine to start unless either the xFob is connected to the xHub or the Xhub is in override mode.

There is a provision to bypass the MOB+ via access to the rear of the xHub should there be a complete MOB+ system failure.

There is a wiring harness available from Fell Marine for dual engine installations.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom