More Charter Arrests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like their advice on checking the boat and Captain's credentials. On a passenger vessel the Certificate of Documentation must be posted where the passengers can see it. Ours is posted at the passenger embarking door, and back when a Master's License was an 8.5x11 certificate, copies of those were posted there too. Most people don't know what it is, but it's there for anyone who cares.

Good. They'll never get all of them, but each one they do get serves as a warning to the others.

Happened to surf into some of the Hualover Inlet videos over the holidays. Kinda addictive.

One of the questions I had watching some of the boats with large groups of people on board:

1. How many of those boats are charters?
  2. And are they legal?
I used to live in South FLA decades ago, and there were always large boats down there, but they certainly have gotten far larger.

Later,
Dan

Hi Tom. Up early this morning?

Well depends on the definition of early!!

So under the USCG rules, could those auctioned (for charity) dinners you used to have be considered charters?

So under the USCG rules, could those auctioned (for charity) dinners you used to have be considered charters?

I think they could be.
We have done charity dinner cruises on our sailboat, and it was a concern. I am licensed so covered in that respect, but USCG also requires charter boats to be documented for Coastwise Trade instead of Recreational. Which of course we were not. Also here in Michigan, six-pack charter boats must be inspected by the state DNR who have a lot of requirements above and beyond the federal CFR's. We only did the cruises for our church so all the passengers were friends, but if we had a problem, it could have been a real problem.

I don't see that anyone got 'arrested".

I don't see that anyone got 'arrested".

Doesn't really work that way. It's more like a civil action, you get summonsed to court where the case is tried and fines are levied.

Well depends on the definition of early!!

Yes, they are considered paid charters. The passengers tendered money on the expectation of receiving a boat ride. The fact that they made a donation to a charity with the result being a free boat ride has not been a successful defense in either maritime or aviation law.

Back
Top Bottom