Moving outboard storage bracket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
The picture below shows how the outboard motor is stored on our Grand Banks 42 Classic. I wish I knew how to rotate the pictures to the proper orientation when they are sideways like this. My wife thinks it is too much weight for that spot and when you hold the pole when going up the steps to the flybridge it will move rather easily. I don’t see it an issue but it concerns her so I’m going to look for another option.
The only place I’ve come up with is shown in the other picture. I’m thinking about fabricating a bracket that will hang on the transom rail. Probably midway in the section you see here which is on starboard side. I’m thinking by putting it near but not too near the corner would keep it from getting in the way when coming and going and releasing and securing lines.

Are there any reasons you might think of that should have me looking for a different option, or maybe you’ve seen some secured in a way to which I should give consideration?

Attachments

• C3ACF0BF-D019-4689-AA86-7A3CF88A9113.jpg
    C3ACF0BF-D019-4689-AA86-7A3CF88A9113.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 83F85420-7FE4-49B5-BC5A-3C5AAE46A2F2.jpg
    83F85420-7FE4-49B5-BC5A-3C5AAE46A2F2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 31
Is there a specific reason why you store it on a bracket (separately)? Many leave the motor on the dinghy and it hangs down immediately aft of the aft cabin roof.

Great question

We only fairly recently bought the boat and the orientation of the dinghy as she sits now would not allow that but quite possibly it will if I simply turned it 180. I’m going to look at that in the morning and thank you

An eight horse motor is awfully heavy. How about an auxiliary mount on the transom, accessable from the swim platform?

pete

You open the picture you want to post with your picture viewer. If it is not in correct orientation rotate and save as a .jpg file, then upload. If it still is not correct then go back and rotate in the direction needed, ignore if it is not upright and then post it. Preview your post to see it is correct.
New Picture (1).jpg
Are you using the boom and mast to drop the dingy and can you do so if the motor is mounted on dingy. I did that with motor and dingy on my 36 GB so it can work. The center of balance will change to aft on dingy.
I got tired of launching dingy and then wrestling the OB into it. Go that way, you will not regret it. Keep the total weight under 200lb if you can.

The weight of the outboard may work the railings loose over time. On our last boat there was a hefty bracket bolted to the transom. The outboard mounted on it and the prop skeg sat on the swim platform.

I would consider the spot where it looks like you have your chairs stored. but then where do the chairs go....

I am planning to store my outboard inside the dinghy, probably just turn it around and clamp it to the transom and put the prop/skeg on a foam block in the bottom of the dinghy (rib w/ fiberglass hull). My outboard is also much smaller and lighter (3.3 mercury 2 stroke). I also don't really have the room to leave the outboard on no matter which way I orientate the dinghy.

That is too much weight for the railing. Just hang it off the dinghy stern and should be good to go.

Ours is a Europa, so totally different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom