Need help on Balmar Alt/ smart reg choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The LN that you referenced from FIT costs $917 USD plus freight. Running at 3800 RPM and 90º C it will output about 120 Amps.

Yes, but I did say in the first line that the one I am getting will cost a lot less
I'm looking at $350 AUD and it's here in Oz

A Delco 36SI, rated cold at 105 Amps (PN 8600398) running at the same 3800 RPM and 85º C will output about 82 Amps. With it you get a more efficient brushless design, a max temp rating of 125º C, and a short hinged alternator that will likely fit better.
You may still need a new pulley.

ebay.com.au has a listing of 9 available at $425 USD each ($626 AU.) plus freight, they come from Texas. They are said to be new and are not rebuilt by Delco as a rebuild would bear a different part number.
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?...3.m570.l1313&_nkw=Delco+Remy+8600398&_sacat=0

The only ones that show up on that link for me is one in Germany for $1500 in Germany and one for $1300 in Australia

Doing my own search on that part number gets the same result
One of these and a 624 is less $ than your LN alternator. Ya, you give up 40 Amps, but do you really need 120 Amps?

Yes - if spending the money
My inverter/charger puts out 120 amps if running the Genset
The battery bank is 840ah

Without rereading the thread, can you make sure to get the pulley diameter ratio 3.3:1?

The pulley we have on the existing alt seems to be that or near enough

The other caution is that the Chinese are making exact copies of the Leece Neville alternators. The only thing missing is their name on the outside. They even include Leece Neville paperwork in the box. So check it carefully.

Ted

The box looks good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-15-05-33-50-372.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-15-05-33-50-372.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_2023-04-15-10-47-44-938~2.jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-04-15-10-47-44-938~2.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Simi

ebay must be blocking the US one from showing up based on your IP address. This would tend to protect the Australian venders.

Regardless, 80 Amps won't do and if it is an original LN unit and it fits, at $350 AU. it is a better deal. The label on the box says Made in USA, one would think the alternator inside is made in the same place.
But I doubt that to be the case. There are lots of venders out there that in the description use words like style, fits, replaces or suits when advertising their goods. My understanding is that these units are knock offs of the originals. That means that the are not made by LN.
This could be a Rare Electrical unit.

There, in your picture is a label (that could itself be made in USA) plastered over another label, that bears the word "suits." One has to wonder why would LN use that word?

Call me a skeptic. It's your money.

On large case alternators there are 2 different dimensions from the hole in the front foot to the tension arm mounting hole, 7.8" and 8.5". Most common is the 8.5" dimension, and I'm not aware if LN even makes a 7.8" model.

If you need the 7.8" one like I do, the 8.5" one is useless to you as it won't fit.

Your existing alternator is a Delco. Delco makes both sizes.

Simi

ebay must be blocking the US one from showing up based on your IP address. This would tend to protect the Australian venders.

Regardless, 80 Amps won't do and if it is an original LN unit and it fits, at $350 AU. it is a better deal. The label on the box says Made in USA, one would think the alternator inside is made in the same place.
But I doubt that to be the case. There are lots of venders out there that in the description use words like style, fits, replaces or suits when advertising their goods. My understanding is that these units are knock offs of the originals. That means that the are not made by LN.
This could be a Rare Electrical unit.

There, in your picture is a label (that could itself be made in USA) plastered over another label, that bears the word "suits." One has to wonder why would LN use that word?

Call me a skeptic. It's your money.

Changed ip address to New York and found it
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELCO-REMY...3-33e0-473d-b74d-e8fc1ce0b840&redirect=mobile

It's still $650aud and they don't ship to Oz
Based on others that do it'd be near $300 in freight so it's $1000 for 100 amps.

The LN alt I am looking at is not on eBay or a business, it's being sold privately.

On large case alternators there are 2 different dimensions from the hole in the front foot to the tension arm mounting hole, 7.8" and 8.5". Most common is the 8.5" dimension, and I'm not aware if LN even makes a 7.8" model.

If you need the 7.8" one like I do, the 8.5" one is useless to you as it won't fit.

Your existing alternator is a Delco. Delco makes both sizes.

198mm on Delco
211 mm on Leese
13mm, close enough to 1/2 inch difference

Looking at our mount I don't see that being an issue

Attachments

• IMG_20230615_091317.jpg
    IMG_20230615_091317.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 25
What a wonderful place to mount the alternator, Cummins did a good job there.

Mine is tucked in under some bronze raw water piping and up against the exhaust manifold, not ideal.

Good luck with the purchase and implementation.

What a wonderful place to mount the alternator, Cummins did a good job there.

Mine is tucked in under some bronze raw water piping and up against the exhaust manifold, not ideal.

Good luck with the purchase and implementation.

Yep
Have found it, said I want it, organised freight
Now I just need him to drop it off at a post office but it almost seems as if it's too hard for him to do.

Back
Top Bottom