New guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill 4

Hi,
After 25+ years living and sailing the World on my Pacific Seacraft 37 both singlehanded and now with a partner. I am biting the bullet and looking for an easier life on a trawler. I know nothing about trawlers per se but like the look of a Monk 36. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bill

My best advise? Look at as many as you can for the best layout for you. Personally, I like the Pacific Trawlers. But you may like something else.

My wife wrote down our needs and wants. We tried looking with open minds, knowing there is no perfect boat, but try to find the one that best suits us.

My best advise? Look at as many as you can for the best layout for you. Personally, I like the Pacific Trawlers. But you may like something else.

My wife wrote down our needs and wants. We tried looking with open minds, knowing there is no perfect boat, but try to find the one that best suits us.
Thanks for the advice, I’m keeping an open mind. This might seem like a dumb question but— I’m reading lots about how bad trawlers are in open water. My plan would be to sail her down to the Caribbean where we are based. Would it be better to ship at $20,000. I don’t mind rough weather, but in the right boat?

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Of course I've forgotten the name or author but there is a book about cruising the waters you're anticipating. Something about "Stormy Path"? "Stony road"?...He cruised in a Schucker trawler. Someone here will probably suggest reading it.

Thanks for the advice, I’m keeping an open mind. This might seem like a dumb question but— I’m reading lots about how bad trawlers are in open water. My plan would be to sail her down to the Caribbean where we are based. Would it be better to ship at $20,000. I don’t mind rough weather, but in the right boat?
Your talking about a semi-displacement hull vs full displacement. The semi displacement hull with the flat aft sections will be a rough ride in big seas-especially following seas. A good book to read is Voyaging under Power by Robert Beebe, which is the bible for powerboaters. The other aspect to consider is how good weather forecasts have become. Depending on your time constraints, you could easily cruise the "open waters" and with the additional speed of a semi displacement hull, get there before the bad weather hits.

Back
Top Bottom