New to the forum.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CIFreediver

I’m introducing myself to the forum. I’m Anthony, my time on the water includes active years in the Coast Guard, and nearly 20 years as a commercial boat captain. I’ve had my eye on a trawler recently and let the owner know my interest but would get shrugged off . A few months back he contacted me sling if I was still interested and I replied of course. So now my family and I are now proud owners of an 1984 34’ CHB, single 6 cylinder Perkins. First day of ownership included replacing the fresh water cooling pump, which I new needed replacing prior to the purchase. Now the third day snd still excited! Pictures will be loaded soon.
Anthony

Attachments

• 22BFE251-5AEA-4CE6-A462-86B59DBA4E13.jpg
    22BFE251-5AEA-4CE6-A462-86B59DBA4E13.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 48467C34-3F65-449C-8E84-0A34B4A46166.jpg
    48467C34-3F65-449C-8E84-0A34B4A46166.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 33
  • EDBCA46B-0D9C-476B-ABC3-9C14906822D6.jpg
    EDBCA46B-0D9C-476B-ABC3-9C14906822D6.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 94EE593A-0827-4A7C-92A0-D2ADE215EA32.jpg
    94EE593A-0827-4A7C-92A0-D2ADE215EA32.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 31
  • F09E92A2-0529-4D25-8E42-7F17B99F498D.jpg
    F09E92A2-0529-4D25-8E42-7F17B99F498D.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 737D5DD8-9BF0-4539-8084-F8DD38BB6ECA.jpg
    737D5DD8-9BF0-4539-8084-F8DD38BB6ECA.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 30
Yes, welcome to TF. Nice vessel those CHBs. We had the sedan or now called Europa version of the same, here in Australia called the Clipper 34, but a 1975 model, so we had all sorts of issues with water rot in the timber superstructure which your model should not have, the cabin etc being GRP in construction by that year. You'll still need to be vigilant though if it has teak decks - unless they were glued and not screwed down..!

But they have always shared a lovely hull shape which is very sea-kindly. It looks like there are brackets on the stern to mount a swim-step - or what we here down-under would call a duckboard..? Was it removed from your boat at some stage, or perhaps removed temporarily for repairs..? :flowers:

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat.

CHBs are nice boats but like all Taiwan Trawlers come with certain issues.

The most important and generally expensive being the fuel tanks. Have yours been replaced or upgraded, if not they are ripe for failure.

Good Luck and Welcome Aboard.

pete

Thr venerable CHB 34 was my first trawler crush. I crewed on a sailboat with a friend's father out of Oxnard CA and there on the dock of sailboats was a CHB 34. Changed my life.

... but like all Taiwan Trawlers come with certain issues. The most important and generally expensive being the fuel tanks. Have yours been replaced or upgraded, if not they are ripe for failure.
pete
Pete M: You seem especially grumpy and prickly this morning. Did a Yorkie leave a deposit or something in your cheerios?

Peter

Last edited:
Welcome to the ocean, canal, bay and marina of boat nuts; i.e. Trawler Forum!

Tis a fine world to play in! Damn inexpensive too... unless, of course, you actually own a boat! Which I understand you now do! So... Take out your plastic card, checkbook, wallet and piggy bank - You're gonna need those $$$ availabilities. Well... therein lays the trade off... :facepalm: :D

Lots of jovial, knowledge folks here. Seldom a real PITA or troll... but, that does occasionally occur. They usually don't remain on board too long. Many here can smell their bad wares and suddenly attacks start coming form all "ports"... till the no-good culprit either simply disappears or does something so grievous-enough for the mods to ban em!! Thank you, Mods!

Regarding your boat - NICE! Enjoy every minute with her!

Art - :speed boat: :dance:

Welcome to the TF, Anthony, and congrats on your new-to-you CHB. She is indeed a beauty. Will you keep the name, "Joyful?" If that's the feeling that she inspires in you and your crew, then she will justify every dime that you invest in her. Cheers!

Thanks for the welcome. Yes there is a swim step for the boat which I will mount but it was in Santa Barbara for its entirety and the slip rules are very strict so luckily there was no cutting of any of the bow rails to make it fit like some boats in the harbor have done or other alterations. I just need to mount it. It was recently hauled before I bought and I would go and walk around underneath and was pleased to see the hull, keel, was all in good shape with no blistering throughout the hull, like I saw on previous ones I looked at. Cutlass bearings, pss shaft seal and rudder post bearings all recently replaced. The iron tanks are in good shape and I'm able to access both tanks for the survey. Just waiting for more permanent slips to open up down south. Can't wait to take it to the islands with the family and enjoy our travels. I will be replacing the thru hulls next since most of the original tapered valves are seized open.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom