NMEA 0183 Raymarine help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SIBERNUT

Guru
I am outfitting Phelps with Raymarine stuff, Seatalk etc.
My GPS antenna ends in bare wires. What's the easiest way to get a 0183 plug on the end ? Rather not do terminal strip. Any help ?

There isn't any standardized 0183 plug. Wiring is always point to point. If you need to extend a cable, crimped butt connectors work well, and definitely use the heat shrink style if the connection is in anything other than a dry, protected location.

Great, but the Raymarine stuff requires PLUGS. Can't just solder/butt connect . Where can I buy a 183 pigtail ?

It's been a while since I've messed with Raymarine stuff, but I think they are all based on one version or another of their SeaTalk interfaces. Unless your Raymarine device has an 0183 port on it, you will need to convert the GPS 0183 to some version of SeaTalk.

SeaTalk 1 is the oldest version and is sort of like 0183, but not compatible. An active converter would be required. I see that Digital Yachts has such a converter, and perhaps Actisense as well. I would favor Actisense, given the choice.

SeaTalk NG is NMEA 2000 with proprietary cabling and connectors. You can get adapter cables with a SeaTalk conenctor on one end and an N2K connector on the other end. You could also make one by taking a SeaTalk NG cable, cutting off one end, and installing an N2K field installed connector.

You can get an 0183 to SeaTalk NG converters, so that's another path. You could also replace the GPS with an N2K GPS and adapter cable to SeaTalk NG. That might be more cost effective than adding a converter. But I haven't priced any of this stuff, so am not sure.

Great, but the Raymarine stuff requires PLUGS. Can't just solder/butt connect . Where can I buy a 183 pigtail ?
Send a query to Actisense. They have a lot of 0183 integration devices and I've found their support helpful.

TKS TT. My electronics guy is a friend, but he's so busy right now id like to get everything connected and mounted for him. I'm pretty sure it's 183, looks like phone cable but BIG. I'm using a DSM300 and a seatalk network box to make it all happen. Going to 2 x E120's I put LEDs into.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom