Nordic Tug 26 - bilge pump replacement/enhancement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wagmore

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
N/A
Vessel Make
N/A
Apologies up front, both for length, possibly improper terminology and/or dumb questions. I've done research here and elsewhere, so hoping I'm not too far off base - but I'm suckin' up the pride, as I'm finding trawler ownership to be a tad more complex than the outboard boats and their simple systems I've owned for decades... :)

I've a 1988 Nordic Tug 26, and I've slowly been working through updates and repairs. Yesterday, I realized I knew near nothing of either my bilge(s) or the pump(s) that may exist. I've been contentedly ignorant for years being a C-Dory owner.

So, after a couple hours of searching, crawling, poking and prodding - I've figured out I have the following:

- The main bilge area is a narrow, deep and long valley that runs from the bulkhead at the rear of the engine aft. It terminates a foot or so aft of the salon door at the cockpit junction.

- One electric Jabsco Water Puppy exists (model 6360-1001) under the rear cockpit hatch. It's remote, not a submersible - mounted up out of the bilge, with the pickup line attached to what appears to be a heavy bronze pickup w/grate hanging down in the aft of the bilge valley. Attached to the pickup is a Rule float switch. This setup is wired to a block near the pump that is tied to the Auto/Off/Manual three-way switch at the helm, fed via one of the breakers/switches on the panel. The exit side of the pump line is looped up high as I believe it should be, then drops back down to a thru-hull above the waterline to port. This pump seems way too small...specs online indicate it's rated at 6.3GPM max.

- One manual Whale pump near the helm. Its also terminates in the bilge, but forward just aft of the engine bulkhead. It's also attached to a large bronze grate and uses a large flexible pipe - maybe 2"? Exits via a thru-hull to starboard.

- Completing the setup is a portable, manual tube-type pump. Works well - easily sucks lots of water fast, I've used it a couple times.

In updating things, it seems wise to err on the side of caution - I'm fine with a little overkill. What I think I'd like to get to, are three electric pumps configured as follows:

- One primary in the bilge, wired to a USS UPS-01 switch/alarm circuit.

- One backup pump in the bilge. Unsure where to set the pickup height - above or below the alarm height? And, what type?

- One in the engine bilge. None exist there now, but I have had a couple occasions where it's been necessary to pump a small amount of clean water out. I've used the portable/manual pump in there, and it works well - but I'd prefer something easier I can just flick a switch on if need be.

In the main bilge aft, it looks like I'll be limited to remote pumps like the Water Puppy. There is very little clearance to the side of the prop shaft housing and the sides of the deep bilge channel - not enough width to drop a submersible down there. I might be able to squeeze a smaller submersible in the fore section of the bilge, but access is the biggest concern. Really tough to get at, unlike the skinnier location aft.

So - any suggestions on pumps? Quantity, capacities, type, configuration, etc.?

Last edited:
Much of my time has been with wood boats so probably have bigger pumps than necessary for modern boats. But you want something that can keep up with the largest flooding expected. If the bilge areas are separate, then 2 pumps. Probably 500-1000 gallons an hour, and a float system that never fails.
It's not a bad idea to have an alarm, that can be silenced, to warn of flooding. Hoses fail, etc.
If you have a shower/sink sump, some people leave the top open or drill a large hole so in the event of deep flooding, that pump contributes, too.
In a long life on the water I have only had two reliable solutions to bilge pumping. Either the Lovett pump/float or the tube/float type in the pic. I've never had a pump with a built in sensor last more than a year. The flapper type float worked fine when it was mercury activated, but I found the new ones unreliable.
I have a wood boat with 5 wt bulkheads and 6 bilge areas. The hull doesn't leak, all my pumping and current reliability views come from wash downs and one hose failure.

Attachments

• float-switch.jpg
    float-switch.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Lovett 1200.jpg
    Lovett 1200.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 222
Back
Top Bottom