OB stolen - Need Better Lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Last week when I arrived at the boat, I discovered that my 15 HP Mercury outboard motor was stolen off the transom motor mount like the one pictured below.

71NNwr-Lh7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They cut the cable AND the lock on the mount handles (or broke a mount handle) to release the motor. Now I'm dealing with insurance for a replacement and contemplating a much more robust dink motor security lock.

I've ordered this outboard motor lock to test out. I think it'll fit horizontally above the bracket but if not, it's too wide to fit horizontally over both handles within the confines of the motor mount bracket. If that's the case, I plan to use it vertically on one handle and another vertically on the other handle to slow down the thieves.

Do you have a locking system that you use that would provide better protection? If so, I'd sure be interested in learning about it. I don't want to lose my next OB and while a video camera can record the theft, it cannot prevent it. Since this occurred, I have improved the lighting of my cockpit and dock area in the hope that it will deter the ne'er-do-wells.

71rv8rjRF-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm also considering making a removable 'strap' from a piece of flat stock (3/16" or 1/4") across the top of the motor cowl as an additional level of security. No doubt I need to be wary of any holes or cuts which might undermine the strength of the motor mount bracket.

I know I can't stop the most determined thief but if I can make it seem like a high workload, risky theft, maybe they'll move along and find an easier target.

I'd sure like to hear what works on your boat! Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Attachments

• Dink snd Motor 02242021.jpg
    Dink snd Motor 02242021.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 54
That's a bummer, where do you keep the boat?

Is there any way (or do you already) to dock the boat so the motor is on the other side of dinghy from the dock? Might make it less visible and accessible. Some sort of simple alarmed pad on the cockpit sole might be deterrence. Or, you could have already tried these bright ideas and to no avail...

Paint motor fluorescent orange?

You can buy a lock pick set on Amazon. YouTube videos give detailed instructions on picking any lock including circular locks. A battery powered cut off wheel will make short work of any chain or hasp. A pair of bolt cutters will go through any cable. It doesn't take a lot of determination or time.

A well lit marina with numerous cameras is probably the best deterrent.

I have a very similar lock as you have shown. It will only stop a very lazy thief. Pretty sure it could be forced open with a tongue screwdriver or certainly a small prybar.

That's a bummer, where do you keep the boat?

Is there any way (or do you already) to dock the boat so the motor is on the other side of dinghy from the dock? Might make it less visible and accessible. Some sort of simple alarmed pad on the cockpit sole might be deterrence. Or, you could have already tried these bright ideas and to no avail...

I'm at Riverboat. The thieves here come and go by water. Just so happens that the dock light over my bow in my shed was out that week so it was a dark hole. I had reported it to the manager before the theft the prior week but it was still out a week later when I returned.

I'm hoping that having two of these locks hanging low within the tight confines of the motor mount bracket box will defeat any crowbar prying access. Maybe that's not possible.

I like the idea of an alarm that sounds if the cable is cut...Hmmmmm...

https://www.amazon.com/FJM-Security-SX-776-Piercing-Decibel/dp/B00CFH9LO2

A1tQBPZG5%2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Paint motor fluorescent orange?

You can buy a lock pick set on Amazon. YouTube videos give detailed instructions on picking any lock including circular locks. A battery powered cut off wheel will make short work of any chain or hasp. A pair of bolt cutters will go through any cable. It doesn't take a lot of determination or time.

A well lit marina with numerous cameras is probably the best deterrent.

I'd rather not have a dink than ride with a fluorescent orange OB!! :eek: :nonono: :facepalm:

There's gotta be a better way! :D

That tiny alarm is only going to be heard if someone is close by. If they're stealing OB motors at night there isn't likely going to be anyone around. They'll cut the cable then toss the alarm in the water.
'

Here's the one we are using, pretty robust

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210315-193118.jpg
    Screenshot_20210315-193118.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 72
Bolt it to the bracket. Thieves are dumb. They will come prepared for the locks and then will be confused by why they can't get it off the bracket. At which point they will leave looking for an easier target.

Fluorescent orange may not be great but making the OB look less new shiny well kept might work. I`ve seen expensive Italian bicycles made to look "tatty" to not interest thieves.
I sometimes worry about leaving dinghy with outboard, floating attached by its painter overnight, easy for someone to quietly detach the whole thing and quietly tow it away.

You've done a good job of glossing over your anger & frustration regarding someone coming onto your property & take something from you! Your post seems calm & collected but I've got a feeling that's not how you were feeling when you discovered you'd been trespassed upon. There's not too many worse feelings.
I'm in the camp of one or 2 bolts with locknuts. Thieves want to get in and out as quickly as possible and would think twice about actually having to work at removing something! If you really want to confound the stupid POS, use a bolt & nut with left-hand threads...I doubt most of them don't have much mechanical IQ!
Other than that, better lighting and a video camera that they see but can't reach, even if it isn't connected to anything, might make them look elsewhere.
I'm sorry for your bad luck.

We cruised the Caribbean for 7+ years. No theft.
Stazo
Then used a chain link from engine to then run inside dinghy through gas tank handle out the front. Used that with a combination lock to lock to cleat at the dinghy dock. No worries about needing or losing a key. They needed two things to cut before they could free the engine.
At night raised the dinghy and chained to the boat.

They want the engine not the dinghy. Like the old joke about running away from a bear you just want to be more difficult to steal from then your neighbors. Yamaha 15hp seemed to be top pickings so used a Suzuki fuel injected 4 stroke. Cant tell you the number of friends who had engines stolen. Local law enforcement never got them back from what I heard. The weird shaped linked stainless chain seemed the best over galvi as no marks on the dinghy and smoother but it’s expensive. Forget the brand. Got it in Le Marin. Cable is worthless. Now with battery powered angle cutters they can go through any chain but it’s time consuming and noisy so they avoid chain. We never used dinghy chaps but did put fire hose over the sections of chain where it rested on the tubes.

The best deterrent is out of sight. Locked in the cabin.

The best deterrent is out of sight. Locked in the cabin.

Bad idea. Gas fumes from an outboard in the cabin are a no-no. Now, if you have something like a propane locker that's meant to vent any flammable fumes that escape, that would be a perfect spot to keep it.

Lots of videos on Youtube on how to break a lock open with two wrenches. I think the same technique could be used on link chain. Small cutters will make short work of cable. No need for power tools and the noise they make and the time they take.

Sad thing is if the thieves want it bad enough they'll get it. Small two stroke outboards are in high demand these days selling quickly on CraigsList and Ebay for top dollar.

The best defense is something they don't want as bad. Next best defense is make yours harder to steal than the next one down the dock.

PO of my previous boat put his OB in the laz and made a sliding bolt arrangement that could only be opened from inside the boat. A real hassle but he got tired of OBs being stolen.

Thanks for the great suggestions, fellas! Next time I'm aboard, I'll remove the transom mount and bring it home to help me fashion a new secure locking system. I'm working with my insurance company on the claim but the reimbursement for a mid-1990s 2-stroke OB (in cherry shape!) is pretty low due to depreciation.

A fellow TFer has offered his old 15 HP OB as a replacement which I'm grateful for and am seriously considering. First, I need to research securing it and making sure it'll work/fit well on my dink. In the meantime, I'll move my old Honda 2 HP aboard to use when needed for boat-boat or boat-nearby shore.

At 27 lbs, it will store easily on its FB mount - safely out of sight. I'll update this thread when I come up with a solution.

There are no locks that will defeat a motivated thief. A friend of mine had his OB stolen. The thieves started by using a sawsall to cut the transom, then realized the motor wasn't locked. He lost his motor and RIB.

Fortunately, he had insurance, unfortunately it was GEICO, it took 11 months to get final settlement.

Bad idea. Gas fumes from an outboard in the cabin are a no-no. Now, if you have something like a propane locker that's meant to vent any flammable fumes that escape, that would be a perfect spot to keep it.

What gas? I run mine out of gas and drain the bowl.

What gas? I run mine out of gas and drain the bowl.

That should avoid the issue. But I'd figure most people using the outboard frequently aren't going to do that. Personally, I never run any engine dry without a good reason. If it's going to sit for a while, stabilize the fuel, run it through and flood the carb with fogging oil on shutdown. I've yet to have one show an issue after that treatment (even notoriously finicky lawn equipment).

I had the Masterlock version of the lock you pictured. Worked great until one of the several loose pieces fell overboard.

Now, if in a questionable area, I use a short length of 3/8" chain with a BIG padlock to secure it.

As an aside, I have only encountered theft while in US waters. Never any problems elsewhere. Make of that what you will.

That should avoid the issue. But I'd figure most people using the outboard frequently aren't going to do that. Personally, I never run any engine dry without a good reason. If it's going to sit for a while, stabilize the fuel, run it through and flood the carb with fogging oil on shutdown. I've yet to have one show an issue after that treatment (even notoriously finicky lawn equipment).

I don't think motors and other stuff are normally stolen from vessels in the US where the dink is "in frequent use" but rather from vessels not using the dink frequently as in when sitting obviously idle in their home slips. So, sure, I used to leave the motor lightly locked to the dink's transom when in transient status and never had an issue. Were I to leave a boat unoccupied like happens when people travel a goodly distance to and from the boat, a small OB would not be left outside as easy prey. Running dry and draining is a quick and easy solution to the gasoline fume as well as varnish and alcohol issues and harmless to the motor. I did it for years to my own OB which sat 24/7/365 on my dink at my own well-lighted pier in easy sight of my back door, even if the OB was only out of use for as short a time as a week.

Maybe drill 2 holes in the transom bracket, 1 on each side. Then get a big chain and after you mount the O/B on the transom mount, tightly wrap the heavy chain around the motor and padlock it to the mount on each side. My mom and dad used to run a mini storage and said these padlocks were very difficult to cut off. They used a grinder to get them off. If the chain is wrapped tightly and you lock each end to the mount it will be tough to get it off without a grinder. Make the holes in the motor mount so that the shackle of the lock will go through the chain and lock onto the motor mount.

Master Lock model 40DPF Discus Padlock

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom