Obsolete or still Useable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig_b

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Alpha One
Vessel Make
Chung HWA
I have two Raymarine chartplotters and a radar dome that came with our boat.
The chartplotters turn on and show our location but only contain the basemap. Which is useless.
Radar has never functioned. Plotter just says something like "radar not found"

I will post a picture of the plotter screen in hopes someone can tell me if these are worth keeping and if so where i can find updated full charts.
The radar only appears to have two wires going to it. I would assume there should be another cable?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210308_110240.jpg
    20210308_110240.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 68
model number would definitely help. Looks like you are at least on Lighthouse II. The question will be if it can be updated to III. If you go into settings and connect it to wifi (your phone hotspot will work if you have no other option). Go to
1. update
2. Update via wifi (check online)

Then see what it says...

As far as the radar, a pic of that or if you know the model number, will also help. If it's a "digital" version. It should still be usable (if it works). You just won't have all the "latest & greatest" features of say the Quantum 2 radar...

GPS, will need to have an updated chart card (navionics) if you want the new maps and features...

Still trying to determine which model it is nothing written on the device but i think its an A series.
When i check online it says No update availble.
I did find these two manuals. Pics attached.

Attachments

• 20220103_140611.jpg
    20220103_140611.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220103_140658.jpg
    20220103_140658.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 47
the Quantum in that manual is 1 version old and still a very solid device. :)

If you go into the settings of the device (plotter) it will give you the model, as well as all the software/firmware info.

When you say the radar has never functioned, do you mean YOU have never gotten it to work. Or the PO never had it running? Any more info behind it's story will also be helpful... :)

It never functioned for me but the wires to the radar had no power. It may work, fingers crossed.
No card in either unit for charts. Thats my main goal at the moment. Finding a chart card.

Last edited:
the Quantum in that manual is 1 version old and still a very solid device. :)

If you go into the settings of the device (plotter) it will give you the model, as well as all the software/firmware info.

Is this what im looking for??

Attachments

• 20220103_141918.jpg
    20220103_141918.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 55
Your a77 is 1 generation old, still very useable. Your Quantum radome is also current. The software version is v19 which is also the latest. Overall a good system. You should be able to connect via wifi or via cable. The previous PO may have used wifi so if you can't get that running you will have to buy the separate Raynet data cable. Part number is available in the Quantum manual or on the Raymarine web site.

The existing power cable may terminate at the 12V panel. PO may have connected it to some random breaker.

You will need a current Lighthouse or Navionics microSD card for charts. I would opt for Navionics. EBay generally has older versions for sale.

Last edited:
Radar is usually on a breaker for power. May need to do some tracing. Also check the back of the plotter and make sure the rather thick wire is plugged in.

But yes, that's your unit info. Looks like you also have an RS130 external GPS as well...

For the charts, just get onto Navionics and put in the device you have and order the card you want.

https://www.navionics.com/media/wys...des/GPS_Plotter_Cards_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

Radar is usually on a breaker for power. May need to do some tracing. Also check the back of the plotter and make sure the rather thick wire is plugged in.

But yes, that's your unit info. Looks like you also have an RS130 external GPS as well...

For the charts, just get onto Navionics and put in the device you have and order the card you want.

https://www.navionics.com/media/wys...des/GPS_Plotter_Cards_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

Are Navionics the only chart option?
Currently using navionics on my tablet and overall happy with it but curious if other options are available

Thanks

Your a77 is 1 generation old, still very useable. Your Quantum radome is also current. The software version is v19 which is also the latest. Overall a good system. You should be able to connect via wifi or via cable. The previous PO may have used wifi so if you can't get that running you will have to buy the data cable. Part number is available in the Quantum manual or on the Raymarine web site.

SoWhat-

I may be wrong, but isn't the "A" series the FIRST in the line of the "newer" MFD line?

Newest to oldest-
Axiom+
Axiom XL
Axiom Pro
Axiom
G series
E series
C series
A series (~2013 release)

SoWhat-

I may be wrong, but isn't the "A" series the FIRST in the line of the "newer" MFD line?

Newest to oldest-
Axiom+
Axiom XL
Axiom Pro
Axiom
G series
E series
C series
A series (~2013 release)

You are correct.
Axiom is the current technology with Lighthouse III software.
a/c/e series are one generation old and typically run Lighthouse II software.
a/c/e are 'legacy' products. Raymarine is releasing new radomes (Cyclone) so I suspect a new MFD series is in the pre-release cycle.

Last edited:
Thank you Everyone!

I think i have a better understanding of what i have, what i need and where to get it.
Looks like there is a dealer right here beside my anchorage that supports the Navionics cards.

Sounds like you just need to find the power switch to the radar and insert a navionics chip, then you will be good to go.

I use the A series in my dingy. A series has no buttons, all touch screen. If the lack of buttons does not bother you than it works exactly like my e series. The A series was the entry level model. Still it was capable of doing everything the high end model would do, just not as quickly.

Raymarine is pretty good about keeping installation manuals on their website. Get a part number of the MFD and see what's available. It's harder to get a printed version, you can order one and have it printed on demand. Or download it and read it on a laptop beside the MFD. I believe the Lighthouse one you have is an operating manual for the software. Not sure if it will say how to connect to the radar.

You have some reading to do.

I have two Raymarine chartplotters and a radar dome that came with our boat.
The chartplotters turn on and show our location but only contain the basemap. Which is useless.
Radar has never functioned. Plotter just says something like "radar not found"

I will post a picture of the plotter screen in hopes someone can tell me if these are worth keeping and if so where i can find updated full charts.
The radar only appears to have two wires going to it. I would assume there should be another cable?

Thanks

Once you find the model number go to Raymarine.com, click on Support and select manuals and documents to find the users manual that shows basic installation. Under the same Support drop down is a link to ask questions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom