Oil Filter Faves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey69

Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 49 MY
So I will be changing the oil on my CAT 3208s. First time on my own since the mechanic did it last year. The oil changing system is now working so should be a snap :rolleyes:

What is the consensus on filter brands.

And while I am at it...any tricks I should know about?

Hear lots of noise about garbage filters so stick with CAT filters?

Thanks in advance.

I stick with Cat filters as the added price is tiny in the grand scheme and they are built for the engines. Gotta be good, maybe not better, but good.

From running construction equipment, I can say that Cat filters are generally heavier and seemed to be better quality. For anything other than Cat, I use NAPA.

I don’t think the brand matters much once you are out of warranty. I use Baldwin, very well stocked in the Seattle area.

Before you unscrew your oil filter, stick a container under it and poke a hole to drain the oil out. I poke the hole on the side about half way down. This drains all the oil that is above the filter making for a cleaner filter change.

Wouldn't use Fram. NAPA which is Wix is a good choice. Baldwin and Fleetguard are also good. Cat filters which are I believe a joint venture with Donaldson, are also good.

I buy a years worth at a time to get significant savings from:

Fleetfilter.com

They carry Wix / NAPA and Baldwin.

Ted

I'll agree with everything said above. Definitely skip the cheap FRAM filters, but their high end filters are actually good. Just the cheap ones are pretty much crap (and you can get a better filter for the same price).

..Before you unscrew your oil filter, stick a container under it and poke a hole to drain the oil out. I poke the hole on the side about half way down. This drains all the oil that is above the filter making for a cleaner filter change.
Good one! A screwdriver punched "through and through" also works as a tool to unscrew the filter.

I don’t think the brand matters much once you are out of warranty. I use Baldwin, very well stocked in the Seattle area.

Before you unscrew your oil filter, stick a container under it and poke a hole to drain the oil out. I poke the hole on the side about half way down. This drains all the oil that is above the filter making for a cleaner filter change.
Just to think about before poking a hole in the old filter, hope you have spare filters just in case the new filter has messed up threads or even worse its the wrong filter in the box. Just so you have a filter to use the motor if needed.

An auto parts store I shop at had a comparison of brand name filters cut open to show what was inside different brands. Of course it shed a favorable light on their brand but from the display the NAPA Gold was the best.

pete

I have 3208T/As on ASD. I use NAPA filters.

I order my oil and fuel filters from below. This includes Racor filters under the NAPA brand.

Prices are about half what you but at local NAPA store. Discounts for quantities.

https://www.fleetfilter.com/

Last edited:
NAPA gold…show them your AAA card if your a member and get 10% off anything you get there. You can get your oil there too, NAPA brand which is Valvoline, in a 5 gallon jug.
Not sure what your Kitty Cat uses. My DDs 71s I use 40 weight CF-2 , VAL 400 in a 5 gallon jug. $130 currently . But they have your oil. They may have to get it in, usually comes in next day.

I have a now old Cummins and I stick with Cummins Fleetguard oil filters.
Same for my fuel filters.

How much is shipping ? Or is it free?

This is my last order (couple of weeks ago) from Fleetfilter.com.

Shipping isn't free, but the price is about 50 to 60% of what NAPA charges me before the 20% discount.

20230311_195538.jpg

Ted

I stick with Cat filters as the added price is tiny in the grand scheme and they are built for the engines. Gotta be good, maybe not better, but good.
What Ox76 said, they all filter pretty much to the same level, 20 microns. The only difference might be the filter meduim, cellulose vs synthetic. Caterpillar does not manufacture filters. Some other guy makes them, paints them yellow, and Cat charges more money.

Wouldn't use Fram. NAPA which is Wix is a good choice. Baldwin and Fleetguard are also good. Cat filters which are I believe a joint venture with Donaldson, are also good.

I buy a years worth at a time to get significant savings from:

Fleetfilter.com

They carry Wix / NAPA and Baldwin.

Ted
Ted, that knock on Fram is VERY old news and out-dated to boot.

I'll agree with everything said above. Definitely skip the cheap FRAM filters, but their high end filters are actually good. Just the cheap ones are pretty much crap (and you can get a better filter for the same price).
Fram filters are not cheaply made. They are every bit as good as any other filter. How about a source for your admonition?

Fram filters are not cheaply made. They are every bit as good as any other filter. How about a source for your admonition?

This video was done about a year ago.

Still have cheap cardboard end caps.

Now their premium filters have metal end caps and a better filter media, but not their low end filter.

Ted

Even the cheap Fram filters work, but there are quite a few people online that have cut them open. In terms of material used for the end caps and other build quality factors, they're not great. But what's more important is that some of the other similarly priced filters are built better.

However, that knock only applies to cheap cheap orange can Fram filters. I don't remember seeing inside the Tough Guard line, but the Fram Ultras (used to be called the extended guard) that I've seen cut open are quite well built (at least as good as others of similar price). I've found in one of my own applications that the Fram Ultra actually flows better (shown as higher post-filter oil pressure under conditions where the oil pump is at max pressure and bypassing some oil back to the pan) than the equivalent Purolator Boss filter (which is a very well liked filter).

Correct. Even with shipping it is still cheaper.

As Ed McMahon use to say...''Yes Sir.. you are correct,. hahah."
I see NAPA stuck it up my aft port exhaust pipe...
I will keep this in mind on my next Earl change.

Thanks for the good tip.

This video was done about a year ago.

Still have cheap cardboard end caps.

Now their premium filters have metal end caps and a better filter media, but not their low end filter.

Ted
Yes, absoultely correct. So, if one purchases the best fram filter, the one with synthetic media, it is every bit as good a filter as the Wix. Furthermore, this comparison is interesting but pretty much meaningless. What would be of value is an oil analysis of oil passed through the different filters. Want to bet the result is the same. Yes, the more inexpensive Fram filter has a thinner-walled case. So what?

Back
Top Bottom