Older Vessels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Pappy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
The Ripper II
Vessel Make
Sportsman 234 SBX
Seem to come across a few older vessels that, at least online, look quite clean and in decent condition.

For instance, a 1978 Defever 43' for sale on here.

What is the realistic lifespan of these older vessels?

Not necessarily the electrical / mechanical systems, as I know they essentially require constant maintenance, but the structure of the vessel .... hull, decks, etc?

thanks for any advice!

Fiberglass isn’t known to deteriorate except the surface finish. It is the wood things that do like the core in a deck, wood trim, wood in stringers. I have seen 50 year old boats that were like new but that isn’t the norm. Usually the lack of proper maintenance is what ruins a boat. Having said that you can have a boat that old and have a lot of trouble getting it insured. So before you buy make sure you can insure it. Get a proper survey too.

Fiberglass isn’t known to deteriorate except the surface finish. It is the wood things that do like the core in a deck, wood trim, wood in stringers. I have seen 50 year old boats that were like new but that isn’t the norm. Usually the lack of proper maintenance is what ruins a boat. Having said that you can have a boat that old and have a lot of trouble getting it insured. So before you buy make sure you can insure it. Get a proper survey too.
thanks for the advice

I did hear insurance is harder to come by on these older vessels and many marinas don't want you around without it

And some marinas still won’t take an older boat even with insurance. Check before committing to buy. Your area may be fine with older boats or it may be worse.

somewhat off point here but as to insurance, wonder if the carrier gives me credit for the 40 years of experience although all on boats b/w 16' and 28' --- last ten years or so been insured with Progressive

somewhat off point here but as to insurance, wonder if the carrier gives me credit for the 40 years of experience although all on boats b/w 16' and 28' --- last ten years or so been insured with Progressive
Nope. It helps with qualifying for insurance, but then it comes down to the boat. I will be having that issue with my steel boat. After so many years, insurance companies will not insure steel boats. They don't care if it is in immaculate condition.

Also, on older boats, I would be most concerned about the condition of the core material. Every screw/bolt is a possible entry point for water ingress resulting in rot. Make sure a good moisture meter is used for the survey.

Nope. It helps with qualifying for insurance, but then it comes down to the boat. I will be having that issue with my steel boat. After so many years, insurance companies will not insure steel boats. They don't care if it is in immaculate condition.

Also, on older boats, I would be most concerned about the condition of the core material. Every screw/bolt is a possible entry point for water ingress resulting in rot. Make sure a good moisture meter is used for the survey.
good points, thanks

and i am sure these recent storms ain't helping with insurance coverage. case in point, USAA raised our homeowners premium so high, auto too but not as bad, that we tried to switch carriers this summer and some said they would not even write any Texas homeowner policies, period

The losses in Texas have made homeowners insurance more difficult and much more expensive to obtain. Your boating experience may get you a discount but won’t help get insurance on an older boat. Some carriers have an age cutoff and they won’t go older. There are still some companies thet write older boats but it is becoming an issue. So if you are looking to buy an older boat make sure before you buy that you can get insurance. That doesn’t mean that in a couple of years you will still be able to get coverage. Who knows?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom