Onboard communication

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCHUTZEE

Hi, we are looking for a Nordic Tug 37. My wife and I are older and both wear hearing aids. She is concerned about onboard communication while docking or underway. Any suggestions for a product that would work? Our hearing aids are Bluetooth capable. I guess we could use cellphones.

We use small FRS walkie talkies. They have belt clips and cost $10 each. Work surprisingly well for the price and you won't mind if you drop 'em in the drink either - :)

We tried the cheap hand held walkies and found them inconvenient, requiring one hand to hold the radio when maybe you've got both hands busy. VOX ear buds helped a lot but were useless when I went down to do an engine room check. The engine noise activated the VOX and I'd be transmitting the whole time I was down there. The hot setup appears to be what people call "marriage savers", they're self contained head phone radios with boom mics attached. There are a couple different brands. Likely would have the same problem with engine noise though. I've used the loud hailer for this successfully, but everybody on the dock can hear you too.

Hi, we are looking for a Nordic Tug 37. My wife and I are older and both wear hearing aids. She is concerned about onboard communication while docking or underway. Any suggestions for a product that would work? Our hearing aids are Bluetooth capable. I guess we could use cellphones.

When I talk on my cellphone, the hearing comes through my Bluetooth hearing aides. Why buy something new when you already have a device ready to be used.
FWIW, I also have a Bluetooth device connected to my TV. Makes watching TV much better. If my wife wants to sit in the family room and read or even talk to someone on the phone, I can mute the TV so it doesn’t disturb her, but I can hear it perfectly.

We also use the Eartec headsets, work absolutely perfect, no need for shouting and it keeps the boat quiet when it needs to be quiet.
Would not want to leave the dock (or come back) without them. We have one spare on board for visitors if they want to listen in or help along.

We use the SENA headsets, but if you've already got Bluetooth-capable hearing aids, I think I'd investigate that solution first. Assuming coverage, cellphone can probably work pretty well that way.

We tried the Family Radios with and without VOX. Not great, either way.

We tried cellphones using the speakerphone function, not great depending on other ambient noise... and where each user finds to park the thing while doing work of some sort.

We tried using the loudhailer/receive-back, but it sounds too much like yelling when I transmit... OTOH, we do still use that sometimes, because it often means I can hear a dock hand speaking too.

-Chris

When I talk on my cellphone, the hearing comes through my Bluetooth hearing aides. Why buy something new when you already have a device ready to be used.
FWIW, I also have a Bluetooth device connected to my TV. Makes watching TV much better. If my wife wants to sit in the family room and read or even talk to someone on the phone, I can mute the TV so it doesn’t disturb her, but I can hear it perfectly.

So I need hearing aids?

Have to pipe in here as this thread is a year old and I would agree headsets are a necessity on any boat. I would STRONGLY recommend/suggest instead the 2Talks Marriage Savers at Cruising Solutions - For less money than the Eartech a PAIR, these now have lithium batteries that hold their charge much longer. You also dont have to remove the battery to charge them, no base, and can just plug in with a USB charger like your cell phone. Easy peasy. If I remember to turn them off after I use them they last for months. Yes they too can fit comfortably with a hearing aid but most suggestions above assume couples both have hearing aids. There are so many couples where just one person has them. So the marriage savers remember the last volume setting so my hubby who shouts can be turned down and I can pick mine up ready to go. They also came in a nice case with extra foam and chargers. Sorry for the interupt but technology has changed and thought I would add a few gems. I would really recommend EVERYONE get headsets for their boat. Clear communication can make every situation better. I cant lie, I was a debby doubter but for once the hubby was right. Haha and now its in writing!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom