Perkins 6.354 transmission oil cooler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike805

Vessel Name
Abreojos
Vessel Make
Roughwater 41
I find myself in the uncomfortable position of looking for a transmission oil cooler for a Perkins 6.354 in 2022. I have the 3-in-1 oil, transmission and after cooler which is no longer made. I tried Transatlantic who sympathized and said they could fabricate one for $5200. Lenco could offer only sympathy as well. Nothing on ebay or anywhere else on the web. Just wondering if anyone may have one of these gathering dust in the garage.

Thanks,
Mike

Could you run a standalone, inline transmission cooler and just cap the transmission line connections of the 3 in one cooler?

My 6.354 has a two in one, cooler for the oil and transmission lines but the intercooler and engine coolant exchangers are both separate. I buy my cooling parts from "Mr. Cool", https://www.mrcool.us/ and have been happy with the pricing and overall service.

Could you run a standalone, inline transmission cooler and just cap the transmission line connections of the 3 in one cooler?

My 6.354 has a two in one, cooler for the oil and transmission lines but the intercooler and engine coolant exchangers are both separate. I buy my cooling parts from "Mr. Cool", https://www.mrcool.us/ and have been happy with the pricing and overall service.
I may end up doing something like that. Turns out that my exhaust pre-cooler is shot as well. I had considered just having a new case CNC'ed but they are too far gone and the stacks are corroded as well. Looking like my only option is to get generics and figure out a way to mount them.

What is the serial number of your engine?

Compatible coolers, with a proper configuration to mount properly, are available for almost all of the 6.354 models.

What is the serial number of your engine?

Compatible coolers, with a proper configuration to mount properly, are available for almost all of the 6.354 models.
Serial # is TU70 025U 630 303G.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike
Have you checked with Marine Exhaust System of Alabama - MESA? They make modular systems to replace mani/multi coolers for legacy Perkins engines. BTW, I've got two new transmission oil coolers sitting in my garage that would work perfectly for an adaption.

Mike
Have you checked with Marine Exhaust System of Alabama - MESA? They make modular systems to replace mani/multi coolers for legacy Perkins engines. BTW, I've got two new transmission oil coolers sitting in my garage that would work perfectly for an adaption.

Suncoast beat me to it.

My understanding is that MESA does have your cooler for sale...the price is just the question. Last I checked they had a replacement designed and ready to produce but the 1st person to order it would need to pay the set-up fee for production, which made it more than twice as expensive.

I'm not sure if that has happened, yet. I'd try giving them a call.

Production was expected to be straight-forward and measured in weeks order to delivery.

Otherwise I've seen a ton of posts here about thus cooler over the last few years. You might go in on a common order and I bet they'd give you some sort of discount and you'd get to divy up that fee.

Back
Top Bottom