Planning a long hop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
In less than 90 days I will leave my home port in Seward Alaska.

The first leg of this journey is the longest one, crossing the gulf of Alaska.

This is a solo trip I am making.

The total distance is 330NM that I need to travel from my home port in Seward Alaska to the community of Yakutat where I can take on fuel.

The first leg will be around 110NM from seward to In between the two islands in the photo. This is either one long day or two easy days. No problem there.

The second leg is 220NM across the gulf.

The challenge is how to accomplish that safely with just me on board.

Here are the particulars of my boat....

440 gallons of fuel

I can travel at 8 knots and get around 1.75NMPG I like to do my planning at 1.5NMPG though just to be on the safe side.

So... on the first leg I will burn around 75 gallons of fuel

The 2nd leg of 220NM is the challenge.

If I attempt that leg at 8 knots then I will be 27 hours awake. That is dangerous.
I might, and the big word hereis might be able to anchor behind the little island you see with a circle in the photo. The word might is because this is a very tricky spot, with poor chart reliability, and needing local knowledge. I am a bit aprehensive.

I could travel at my thoeretical hull speed of 9 knots and get around 1.3 nmpg and the trip would take 24 hours

Another option would be to go 10 knots for that leg With my Water line length of 44' that speed is pushing a big bow wave but the boat is not starting to noticiable lift in the bow. My fuel economy at that speed drops to about 1.0 nmpg That would shorten the trip to 22 hours

The other option would be to hit the throttles and go. Up on plane, 15 knots. Then the trip would be around 15 hours. but my economy goes to about .75NMPG If I choose this I will bring some fuel drums and top off the tanks before this leg just to be sure. The risk of this is hitting a log and stress. Up on plane is stressful. Things happen fast, and there are logs to avoid. Up on plane also means that I if I hit a log it will pull under the boat as opposed to flat and level.

Now a bit about me and my body.

Currently as part of my job I am required to change shifts frequently with little notice. That means that I often have to stay up 24 hours and be fully functional in life and death safety situations. This is something I am accustomed to and have trained my body to do. That career ends just a couple days before this departure.

So now the big question, what would you do?

Attachments

• 274B6B58-ACB8-42DD-8CD7-2033FF4C7D4E.jpg
    274B6B58-ACB8-42DD-8CD7-2033FF4C7D4E.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 150
This sounds like the perfect situation to find someone who would be willing to do the trip with you.

If it were my decision, I too would find someone to ride with me for this one! If the weather gets rough, it could disrupt your time plan tremendously...and you would have difficulty checking on critical things without somebody else to take the helm for a spell.

After you leave Zaikof Bay it's a reasonable run to Kayak Island, IF the winds are from the East there is a great anchorage in the hook South tip of Wingham, 30-40' with sand bottom. The charts aren't very accurate since they haven't been updated since the 1964 earthquake.

Controller Bay is another option, commercial fishermen use it but I never talked to anyone who did. Icy Bay had ice in it in 1985 when I anchored there, it was horrible with choking ice and I didn't sleep a wink. I barely went in though, if you go further in maybe you wouldn't have that problem and I know there is at least one lodge in there.

From there Yakutat is an easy run and has everything you could want, including places to anchor out and rest up for the next leg. The Yakutat to Cape Spencer run is the long one at about 140 miles, has only Lituya Bay which has a scary entrance and wicked currents... I am not going in there!

I think I'd run slowly the legs to Yakutat and then run fast across to Cape Spencer if I were running your boat. It's going to be my plan, even though I can't run as fast as you can.

I would do it with you but I will be getting my boat ready and that's too much time for me to lose prepping :)

Last edited:
I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I did. I've done several days where they were around or over 24 hours. You need to start in the afternoon (after sleeping) so that the trip through the night is when you are freshest. You definitely want to finish in day light hours. If you're not comfortable running through an entire night, then you need help or it needs to be split up.

The other option is napping. Power naps under 45 minutes work wonders for me. More than 45 minutes at a time screws up my night sleep. Assuming you have a guard zone on the radar and AIS, stopping (just drifting, no anchor, engines off except generator) should be fine. If nothing is on the radar at 20 miles, it's unlikely to reach you in 45 minutes.

Ted

How practical would it be to carry more fuel? That would be my first choice if it could realistically and safely be done. Not only does it shorten your solo time and lessen the risk of fatigue, but it shrinks your weather window as well. So in a perfect world, I'd go balls to the wall from Hinchenbrook to Yakutat.

Presumably you will need fuel again pretty soon after reaching Cape Spencer? Where are you thinking of fueling next?

Hi Kevin,
I have neither the chops nor the standing to comment on what could or should be done here.
Just for fun though, I will comment on how I would look at it while acknowledging that I have stared down far fewer challenges than you already have in that realm and geography.
I would not consider this as the start of the very fine adventure you have set in front of you. Too many variables that could make this less fun and more stress. We are retired now; this should be fun!
A one-way flight back from Yakutat to Anchorage is $250. Even if no one you know wants to do this for fun (free), I recently hire a very experienced captain to crew with me on a one day crossing and his fee was only $650.
For less than a boat buck, this would allow you to do a straight shot in likely less than 40 hours with plenty of fuel in reserve and well inside of a very predictable weather window.
The added bonus for me is that I get to spend some sea time with someone with far more experience than me and learn some very useful tidbits on the way.

There was a day when I would have thought that taking on this kind of risk/stress was a badge of honor and worth it. So, I certainly understand folks who do.
For me...them days are gone. I have a grandkid and all kinds of other reasons to arrive safely home having enjoyed the trip and looking forward to the next one.

How practical would it be to carry more fuel? That would be my first choice if it could realistically and safely be done. Not only does it shorten your solo time and lessen the risk of fatigue, but it shrinks your weather window as well. So in a perfect world, I'd go balls to the wall from Hinchenbrook to Yakutat.

Presumably you will need fuel again pretty soon after reaching Cape Spencer? Where are you thinking of fueling next?

I'll fuel up in Yakutat and then in Juneau or even Petersburg.

It would be very easy for me to top off the tanks in Hinchinbrook entrance. I have the jugs, pumps, etc... already.

My only concern with going fast is hitting a log. once i hit a log in my 34 footer out at Wessles reef going 26 knots and almost lost the boat.

That said, my boat does very well up on plane and I could make the yakutat run in 15 hours which is less than the daylight that time of year.

I would definitely find someone to do the trip with you even if you have to pay them.

After you leave Zaikof Bay it's a reasonable run to Kayak Island, IF the winds are from the East there is a great anchorage in the hook South tip of Wingham, 30-40' with sand bottom. The charts aren't very accurate since they haven't been updated since the 1964 earthquake.

Controller Bay is another option, commercial fishermen use it but I never talked to anyone who did. Icy Bay had ice in it in 1985 when I anchored there, it was horrible with choking ice and I didn't sleep a wink. I barely went in though, if you go further in maybe you wouldn't have that problem and I know there is at least one lodge in there.

From there Yakutat is an easy run and has everything you could want, including places to anchor out and rest up for the next leg. The Yakutat to Cape Spencer run is the long one at about 140 miles, has only Lituya Bay which has a scary entrance and wicked currents... I am not going in there!

I think I'd run slowly the legs to Yakutat and then run fast across to Cape Spencer if I were running your boat. It's going to be my plan, even though I can't run as fast as you can.

I would do it with you but I will be getting my boat ready and that's too much time for me to lose prepping :)

Doug you have mentioned Wingam island before. That is about half way and if the conditions are benign would be a great spot to get 6 or 7 hours of sleep before making the rest of that hop. It is also easy to go there, evaluate the conditions and make a decision.

That is a long run. I also travel solo quite a bit and often do straight runs of 15 hours, but I am not saying that is equivalent to 24 or 27. I also plan the night time portion at the beginning of the trip when I am most alert. Based on your past experience with shift work, and staying awake and in control for > 24 hours, it sounds to me like you have the ability to do it unless you find the other options make more sense.

This is a really interesting discussion guys!

One thing, I am not going to bring on an extra person. I know I could get another person onboard but this is something I need to do myself.

I am a solo guy living on my boat, starting the cruise of a lifetime. :)

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I did. I've done several days where they were around or over 24 hours. You need to start in the afternoon (after sleeping) so that the trip through the night is when you are freshest. You definitely want to finish in day light hours. If you're not comfortable running through an entire night, then you need help or it needs to be split up.

The other option is napping. Power naps under 45 minutes work wonders for me. More than 45 minutes at a time screws up my night sleep. Assuming you have a guard zone on the radar and AIS, stopping (just drifting, no anchor, engines off except generator) should be fine. If nothing is on the radar at 20 miles, it's unlikely to reach you in 45 minutes.

Ted

Thanks Ted! I know you cruise solo most of the time and your insight is very valuable!

Hitting a log at even 8 knots can leave you in a perilous condition - where is that second person when you need help bailing/fixing. Is drifting debris a real big issue up there. Since it is not here, we used to make the big bend run of 165 miles in the trawler with only the crab pots to worry about during that season if you get in much closer to land than 40 miles. I have done it solo. My current boat runs 15-16 MPH at 9 GPH, and I would make a daylight dash across there on plane if the waether was right. It would have to be VERY right, or I would beat myself to death in this 12,000-pound boat. In your boat with a VERY good forecast, I would run fast in excellent seas and visibility, stop and nap if necessary as Ted said, and keep it at 10 MPH if the seas begin to misbehave (remember, this is a VERY good forecast we are planning for so they should not misbehave too badly). Is your PLB/Spot/EPIrB in good nick as the Brit say? I assume you all carry adequte liferafts up there in those cold waters where you cannot survive long without one.

That is a long run. I also travel solo quite a bit and often do straight runs of 15 hours, but I am not saying that is equivalent to 24 or 27. I also plan the night time portion at the beginning of the trip when I am most alert. Based on your past experience with shift work, and staying awake and in control for > 24 hours, it sounds to me like you have the ability to do it unless you find the other options make more sense.

Thanks!!!

Yes, this thursday I will wake up at 0600, and not shut my eyes until sometime around 0700 the next day.

I do this all the time.

Then I do a quick turnaround of only 48 hours off and my world turns upside down sleep wise again.

I agree with the run it on plane option. Get as close to Hinchinbrook as you can, anchor for some sleep, make sure you're good on fuel. When daylight hits, throttle up and go. If you start seeing a lot of debris, you may have to slow down. But in decent weather and daylight running, you should be able to see well enough to run 15 kts safely without much risk of hitting a log or anything.

If you can find a good spot to duck in for some sleep and split the run into 2 days, even better. 15 hours of constant attention at planing speeds single handed would be rough. Realistically it would be a bit longer than 15 hours, as without someone to take over for you, I'd want to slow down when running to the head or getting food.

With 440 gallons, I'd figure you don't want to plan on burning more than 320 or so. Based on your numbers, 220nm on plane should burn about 300 gallons. So plan to bring a couple of drums or something and carry whatever you think you'll burn from Seward to Hinchinbrook. Then before taking the big run, top off the main tanks and you pull into Yakutat with plenty of reserve.

As a side thought, I'm a little surprised that boat doesn't carry more fuel. 440 gallons seems a little light for the size and presumed amount of travel you'd do in something with a proper pilothouse.

It seems risky to make a plan of running on plane given the debris risk especially with this being the first leg of the trip that represents a new phase in your life. It would suck bugs to sink your boat on day one. If it was me I'd have a buddy or two join me and cruise at your normal speed. If conditions provided excellent visibility for running on plane I would factor that in as an option to shorten the leg but I wouldn't count on it. Congratulations on getting into the 90 day count down zone.

i suspect it might not be possible to do that run on plane due to issues with sea state. i haven't logged many hours in that area though, so you'd know how sloppy it's going to be more than i would.
lots of dark/misty/foggy hours this time of year too. i'd think running at 10 kts might be a workable plan, maybe getting up on step in intervals where you feel confident. i would tend to run slower at night and try to make up time in the daylight.
i also like the idea of leaving in the afternoon and running through the night while you're fresh, scheduling arrival with maybe an hour or two of daylight to spare.

oops, i just saw you're 90 days out still. lots of daylight then.

Last edited:
We had a loud kitchen timer set at 20 minutes. Once you’re away from land with radar, navigation lights and ais at night I was able to power nap. Yes, I was a bit wasted the next day but for your trip and experience you should be good.

Fletch500’s suggestion is good by leaving late and arriving during day light. We regularly left so our arrival was guaranteed in the daylight with contingencies.

Most of the debris is between the Sound and Kayak Island, logs flush out of the Copper and associated streams there. Lots less debris after that, and very little between Yakutat and Cape Spencer, as there are no streams of any size nor trees of any size to wash out.

When I did this run early last June (in a Nordic Tug 42 coming up from Auk Bay) the prevailing winds were from the East, and were very light except for one 6 hour stretch when we hid behind Wingham, anchored and slept. It had blown past by morning and conditions were no less than fabulous!

Kevin, maybe someone in Seward, Whittier, Homer would be interested in hitching a ride with you to SE, getting off the boat at, say, Juneau. That would give you some wheel-watch coverage across the Gulf and would be attractive if it was a free trip for someone.

Last edited:
First choice, added captain. Rejected by OP. A pride thing. Pride can be dangerous.

Second choice. Nautical day will be over 20 hours when he goes. Recommend adding fuel and adding speed. Run the 220 nm mostly at 15 knots but mix in some "breaks" of running 8-10 knots for 30 minutes to an hour, even running at idle briefly. So, the trip then becomes about 16-17 hours which is easily achievable in light.

If you are like me, you will talk yourself into believing that with the alarms properly set, a "short" nap is safe, even if you leave with no intention of doing so. If your judgement while rested is that you don't think taking a nap will be safe, don't put yourself into a position where you will be tempted. Personally, I would hire crew and just defer the start of the solo journey of a life time. Heck, I wouldn't even be particularly proud of "accomplishing" 24 (or 27 or whatever) hours straight solo.

Most of the debris is between the Sound and Kayak Island, logs flush out of the Copper and associated streams there. Lots less debris after that, and very little between Yakutat and Cape Spencer, as there are no streams of any size nor trees of any size to wash out.

When I did this run early last June (in a Nordic Tug 42 coming up from Auk Bay) the prevailing winds were from the East, and were very light except for one 6 hour stretch when we hid behind Wingham, anchored and slept. It had blown past by morning and conditions were no less than fabulous!

Doug your first hand knowledge is Fantastic!

I know you would go with if I asked, but we both know that I need to do this alone.

Thanks!

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and insight!!!

What about a medical emergency? Get a serious cut, heart attack, etc. might be nice to have someone to help then.

I've mostly cruised solo in the last 10 years. If I need night running I prefer to do it in the early hours of the morning, then finish the leg in daylight. I avoid risks. ie where if something unexpected occurs there could be a very bad outcome, come up with another plan!

I know nothing of the waters to be crossed, but on reading posts above my thoughts would be: definitely cover the first leg where potential for debris is highest in daylight. Get to one of the islands referred to. Get a a good few hours of sleep. Head to the next island etc. Given that you should only start in a pretty much ideal weather window and that forecasts are usually very good for three days then this approach should have minimal risk. Arriving at the islands in daylight will give you time to enter potential anchorage spots slowly and scout them out safely.

I have found that even a rolly & uncomfortable few hours anchored is very beneficial. Usually people look at risk/reward tradeoffs. I might be missing something but I see negligible reward in pushing the limits here, so I'd be damned if I'd take any more risk than I needed to.

Back
Top Bottom