Propane On DEmand Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand that you don't have enough electrical power to install an electrical heater, but I would be very careful with installing a propane system. For all the reasons mentioned above I have decided no propane will be allowed on my boat. No stove, no oven, no grill, no water heater, nothing.

My water heater works in a double function. While the port engine is running the cooling water of the engine will warm up the boiler and when the engine is not running it is AC power that will do the trick. Normally we have the boiler off during the night and we take a shower right after we arrive in an anchorage. Then the water is still warm, no need for electrical

It uses about 1100 Watt at 220 V for about 20 min to warm up enough water for a shower. At 24 V that is about 20 Ah out of the batteries, which is acceptable. 4 of my solar panels alone already deliver about 80 Ah with very little sun, so I don't need to start up the generator at all.
I have 4 additional panels, but left them out of the equasion.

Last edited:
Solar showers have merit if used in warm climes.

I used one on my sailboat for around a year and thought it "adequate". Then my dock neighbors installed a bootleg water heater in the mangroves..... oooops.... :D

There are a lot of off grid solutions, even for mini-RVs that can be found online.

Me?, I would just mount the propane heater discussed outside but only if I felt good about all the safety precautions/sensors installed and it met the spirit of the ABCY precautions and be done with it.

Too many accidents are from user error, bad installs or general misunderstandings than just being dangerous equipment or substances.

Very big thanks to all including our sarcastic shipmates. Just too many naysayers to ignore. So, you will not be reading about my boat in the St. Augustine Record. I have just ordered a Kuuma 6 gal. Many thanks again.

The Camplux propane shower seems like a really complex, expensive and dangerous solution to a little problem.

Just use your tank water heater or even your stove top to heat a gallon of water. Put it in a bucket on the back deck or pour it into the sink in the head and add 1/2 gallon of cold (or whatever gets you to your desired shower temp). Drop your $30 battery powered showerhead into the bucket or sink, and take your shower with no installation cost, no risk of explosion, no problem with temperature fluctuation, no possibility of excess water use, no possibility of a complex system not working at all.

You may need to ignore the whine "But that is like camping!" Well, so is the Camplux shower (a wordplay on luxurious camping) but, because it is 30X the expense and complexity, some would see the Camplux as less like "camping."

Google "Urpro portable shower" for an example. Gets the job done.

Solar showers have merit if used in warm climes.

A solar shower is also an option, but that is not what I use. Just to clarify, mine is combined engine coolant (for heating up the water) or electrical. As a source of electricity I can use shore power, generator or my solar panels. The solar panels deliver enough Amps to make it possible to have the boiler on electrical heating and not discharge the batteries via the inverter. In fact, I can have the boiler on and still charge my batteries.

A solar shower is also an option, but that is not what I use. Just to clarify, mine is combined engine coolant (for heating up the water) or electrical. As a source of electricity I can use shore power, generator or my solar panels. The solar panels deliver enough Amps to make it possible to have the boiler on electrical heating and not discharge the batteries via the inverter. In fact, I can have the boiler on and still charge my batteries.

OK...there are lot's of boats with lots of options...if the OP doesn't have a solar system already...it's a long way and expense to heating water with solar electric.

I was merely suggesting the solar water heater bags or piping system that uses solar direct, not converted to electricity....plus he has already ordered a conventional heater so he can go from there.

Very big thanks to all including our sarcastic shipmates. Just too many naysayers to ignore. So, you will not be reading about my boat in the St. Augustine Record. I have just ordered a Kuuma 6 gal. Many thanks again.

I have the 11 gallon version of that. Works well. I recommend adding an external temperature regulator so that you can prevent engine temperature water from coming out your spigots and shower heads. Mine is set at 120 degrees F which seems like it's plenty hot enough. Without it, water temps are 180 degrees F after running the engines for awhile.

When you plumb it, consider using extra long silicone hoses with quality brass garden hose connectors with silicone gaskets for the last few feet. They will make it very easy to connect the plumbing now and in the future, if a replacement water heater has a different design.

Carlgile,

I sent an eMail to Camplux support about AYBC approved and/or installation in a boat. This what they replied with.

Technical Support (Camplux, Enjoy Outdoor Life!)
May 3, 2023, 13:32 GMT-5
Hi Captain Lee,

No, this is not "Marine certified" and this is a residential unit not for any moving vehicle.

Thank you,

Technical Support Team
Camplux, Enjoy Outdoor Life
www.camplux.com
P: (844) 538-7475

We put a propane on demand water heater on a small cat that we bought in the Baltimore area. On the way south, it went in a dumpster in Norfolk. It constantly cycled between on, hot water, then off, cold water. Total PITA.

I'll join the chorus -- there's no way I would have a propane system on all the time as this would require -- we turn ours on before using the stove and then off when we're done. Look again at the photos of propane explosion damage above -- it's not hard to imagine what happened to any people who were below when the bomb went off.

Not venting is a minor issue by comparison.

Jim

Carlgile,

I sent an eMail to Camplux support about AYBC approved and/or installation in a boat. This what they replied with.

Technical Support (Camplux, Enjoy Outdoor Life!)
May 3, 2023, 13:32 GMT-5
Hi Captain Lee,

No, this is not "Marine certified" and this is a residential unit not for any moving vehicle.

Thank you,

Technical Support Team
Camplux, Enjoy Outdoor Life
www.camplux.com
P: (844) 538-7475

Wait a minute. Is that the same company who's web site headline is "Built for the Road"?. And is this not the product headlined as
Camplux Propane Off-Grid Portable Water Heater for RV, Trailer & Camper

And the product that's listed under their category for RV Appliances?

It’s marketed as portable, for use with RV’s. Not installed in. All marketing shows the unit being used outside.

It appears they have other units for installation in RV’s.

This probably explains OP’s reluctance to vent the exhaust out side the boat.

If you follow the marketing far enough the language changes to “for out door” use.

Last edited:
I'll join the chorus -- there's no way I would have a propane system on all the time as this would require -- we turn ours on before using the stove and then off when we're done. Look again at the photos of propane explosion damage above -- it's not hard to imagine what happened to any people who were below when the bomb went off. Not venting is a minor issue by comparison. Jim

I agree 100% and you are incorrect 100% about this unit. Anyhow I have decided to and bought a Kuuma 6 gal electric. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom