PVC inflatable registration number ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
I just registered it and know keeping registration decals on is a battle any thoughts? Has anyone had outside name boards and tied them to a weight that hangs inside to keep it in place. I am sure there is a lot of creativity going on out there. Ty

Personally I don't bother putting numbers on my inflatable and have never had an issue. If you insist, there are kits that you can stencil (paint) them on or if you can, put stick-on numbers on a placard and attach it somehow. w/o knowing your dinghy, it's hard to suggest how best to do that. Technically you should also carry your registration in the dinghy. I don't, but then again mine is a small inflatable and it would be a pain to do that.

My brother just bought a new inflatable and sent his numeral off to a company which prints them onto a piece Hypalon (or PVC if that is what yours is made of). That item is glued to the dinghy. It looks quite robust.

The numbers are supposed to be permanently attached.

I tried name boards - pieces of starboard zip tied to the lines that ran around the bow of the dinghy on both sides. Never worked well. Flopped around, broke, got in the way, fixed, broke again. Finally went with the mail order numbers.

Frolic I saw the glue on boards I just don't know how it will hold up as the inflatable heats and cools. My neighbor said he could not get his to last more than a season. I think paint would not do well. I have had this dink for 5 years unregistered w/o issue. I am starting the Loop and want to minimize any risk.

I just used vinyl letter/numbers from BoatUS graphics for the last 10 years.

Inexpensive, easy to apply and they hold up even when deflating when you use a very thin font.

Frolic I saw the glue on boards I just don't know how it will hold up as the inflatable heats and cools. My neighbor said he could not get his to last more than a season. I think paint would not do well. I have had this dink for 5 years unregistered w/o issue. I am starting the Loop and want to minimize any risk.

My brother just sent this link for his recently applied reg numbers. I goes on just as a patch would be applied.

https://boatnumberplate.com/description

I just nail the numbers on.
On another subject, what’s the best way to find where your inflatable is leaking?

On another subject, what’s the best way to find where your inflatable is leaking?
Maybe start with the nails:)

It was recommended to me by another forum member to just use a sharpie, and refresh the letters when they fade. I plan to hang the decal (within 6" here by law) on a carabiner off the grab rail rope (or rather to attach it upon request by authorities claiming "I forgot" to attach it when I inflated my boat.)

The numbered decal reviewed poorly, though it sounds like a good idea.

It was recommended to me by another forum member to just use a sharpie, and refresh the letters when they fade.

I've seen this done, successfully. It seems a good way to meet to the letter of the law.

I use a plastic placard, which is a bit of a pain and technically not permanent, but no-one has challenged me (yet) about its legality.

I used the boatnumberplates and they lasted 5 years before they started curling up at the corners and could not be flattened back out. Next, I made my own stencil and used magic markers. I have to touch them up once a year, but they look fine. For the registration sticker I bought one of the rubber squares that glue onto the dinghy and the sticker goes on it.

We have vinyl decals on ours, 4+ years old and looking new. Boat lives inflated and covered when not in use. Prism Graphics in Seattle supplied them.

A spray bottle with dish soap and water. Spray the inflated boat and look for tiny bubbles.

We bought a stencil set and laid out the registration on each bow tube and painted with Krylon spray paint, colour matched to the dinghy’s colour scheme. 5 years so far snd still in good condition.
James

We just painted them on. Free hand. Used some black paint we had on board. No need to make the easy things more difficult. Cost was maybe $0.15 of paint. 2.5 years later the paint is still holding up, but we will touch up as necessary when we have a spare 3 and half minutes. Somethings in boating are difficult, but somethings need not be.

We just painted them on. Free hand. Used some black paint we had on board. No need to make the easy things more difficult. Cost was maybe $0.15 of paint. 2.5 years later the paint is still holding up, but we will touch up as necessary when we have a spare 3 and half minutes. Somethings in boating are difficult, but somethings need not be.

I also use paint via a paint pen. Easy.

Only block lettering. In Some states, thats a law. Along with height and width.

Actually, that's a federal standard. It always surprised me that some places will sell you numbers and letter boards with non-confirming fonts.

At least the examples shown on the pre-made number plate site have the spaces between letters and numbers correct. That's probably the biggest mistake I see.

We have used the 'boatnumberplate' on two different inflatables, both PVC. Because we are in the Great Lakes region, our inflatable gets deflated and rolled up during the winter months. After about 5 years or so with our first one, the corners curled up a little. We re-glued and would have to touch up every year or so. As long as the boat and plate stay clean, it will re-glue with no problem. An earlier poster was correct. The numbers are supposed to be permanent. We were indeed stopped by the CG a number of years ago with a plastic plate attached temporarily to the inflatable.

Your supposed to use a stapler, duh.

A spray bottle with dish soap and water. Spray the inflated boat and look for tiny bubbles.

Costco is a great place to look for the tiny bubbles. Great prices and their house brand is often a very good brand, re-labelled.

I used a black sharpie and stencils on one "deflatable". Lasts about a year in fla. I too now go commando. I carry the reg. in a ziploc (stashed it under the engine cowl.)

We had a small inflatable in the past and also had trouble getting the numbers to stay on the fabric. Eventually, I put the number and sticker on the hard transom. That worked perfectly for several years and we never had a complaint from law enforcement. An improvised solution is generally more accepted on a small inflatable than a larger RIB, imo.

Back
Top Bottom