Quantum Radome Spins but won't paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwilkieo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
WILSON
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32-260
My 6 year old Raymarine Quantum Radome just suddenly quit working. It spins just fine, but there is no image painted on the MFD.

The Axiom+ MFD appears to recognize it. I can toggle it on and off. I can set it to transmit. The Radar app comes up fine on the MFD and shows the center point and AIS overlays etc. When the Radar is told to transmit, it starts spinning. It spins just fine, sounds good and it looks brand new under the dome when I remove it.

I tried doing a manual off and on. I swapped out a new data cable. I paired the Axiom+ to the Radome with Wi-Fi - got a confirmation that it had paired. The transmit and standby buttons have the expected result to start and stop the spinning.

In desperation I scrounged around in the basement and found the old es128 MFD, which was retired because the touchscreen failed. The old MFD works fine using buttons and knobs. The result with the Radome was exactly the same. Everything appears to work except it won't paint a radar image on the screen.

Has anybody run into such a failure. I can't find any such reference despite numerous google search attempts. Appreciate any input.

I hate to send it to Raymarine and pay probably close to half of what a new one costs, but I hate throwing it away even more.

Have you checked for any software updates? My Axioms were working fine last fall when we hauled the boat. At launch the charts were not there. Called Raymarine and they asked about updates, I said it had been working fine with no changes over the winter. Tech said do all the updates and see what happens. I did and everything worked fine. Makes you want to go hum…

Have you checked for any software updates? My Axioms were working fine last fall when we hauled the boat. At launch the charts were not there. Called Raymarine and they asked about updates, I said it had been working fine with no changes over the winter. Tech said do all the updates and see what happens. I did and everything worked fine. Makes you want to go hum…

Thanks for the suggestion. I did the update on the Axiom+ that was available. There was no software update available for the Radome. It went fine and everything fired up, but with the same result.

Then I would call Raymarine and see what they suggest.

Back
Top Bottom