Recommendation for Stabilizer Service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quinsky

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Noah Genda
Vessel Make
DeFever 50 CPMY
I'm looking for a good place to have the seals on my Naiad 252 stabilizers replaced. We are in Maine now and will be heading back to North Carolina in a couple of weeks. I know there are several places on the Chesapeake that are listed as Naiad service centers. Just need a good recommendation. Thanks

Vessel stabilization

Hello Quinsky! Sorry but no direction as per your request but lached onto your specification of stabilizers. I have GB32 with a rolling problem that needs to be solved. Love the boat, hate the roll. Are you having success with your Naiad stabilizers enough for me to look into? Starting to look at Seakeeper, etc but thinking a fin solution could work. Thanks for any input/direction.

The stabilizers on my boat were installed when the boat was made in 2010. We love them! They make a big difference with rolling while underway- not at anchor. I would not have a boat without them.

Try Zimmerman Marine. They've several locations from the Chesapeake going south. If not done recently have your shaft seals done too since you'd be hauling out anyway. Your DF deserves the best.

Cape Charles Yacht Center did our seals onetime. Took them a couple hours. They hauled us out, changed them while in the slings and put us back in the water. It was painless.

Washburns in Solomons did ours once while we were on the hard. They did a good job. But took them a long time to get to us.

Hilds Marine Service in Baltimore replaced an actuator for us once and did an excellent job. They probably do seals. I’d call them first.
http://www.hildsmarineservice.com/services.html

I think the first challenge will be to find a location where there is space to install fins based on your interior layout. I installed them in a GB 47EU. There were clear locations forward of the fuel tanks, but it still required cutting out a stringer and rebuilding in an offset location, plus a lot of building up of the FRP for strength.

On a 32’ boat I expect finding a location will be difficult, if not impossible. Or may require a lot of cabinetry work and or equipment relocation. So I would start by scoping out candidate locations

I think the first challenge will be to find a location where there is space to install fins based on your interior layout. I installed them in a GB 47EU. There were clear locations forward of the fuel tanks, but it still required cutting out a stringer and rebuilding in an offset location, plus a lot of building up of the FRP for strength.

On a 32’ boat I expect finding a location will be difficult, if not impossible. Or may require a lot of cabinetry work and or equipment relocation. So I would start by scoping out candidate locations
The fairing blocks for hydraulic fins are around 18" x 18" x 3" thick.

But wait, there's more.....

Although there are fins that are spec'd for small boats such as my Willard 36, the support equipment is sized for a much larger boat. A 2-inch thru-hull for the hydraulic fluid cooler. A 7-gal hydraulic oil tank. Then the electronic boxes are relatively large, at least for a small boat. And let's not forget the engine mounted hydraulic pump and hose sets.

A couple years ago, I replaced my OEM 1970 Vosper stabilizers with the smallest system I could find (Wesmar, but I DO NOT recommend them). At the time, the bass system without hydraulic pump and hoses was about $25k plus shipping and install (not including hydraulic pump and mounting, which is considerable). Probably much higher now, especially for larger boats.

From a practical perspective, active fins are way too expensive for a GB32

Steadying sail? Nope. Not a match for a wake. I've uses them on a couple boats. Cute but worthless.

The roll chocks are the only hope for OP. Not perfect, but given the modest cost, likely has some bang for buck.

Peter

Cape Charles Yacht Center did our seals onetime. Took them a couple hours. They hauled us out, changed them while in the slings and put us back in the water. It was painless.

Washburns in Solomons did ours once while we were on the hard. They did a good job. But took them a long time to get to us.

Hilds Marine Service in Baltimore replaced an actuator for us once and did an excellent job. They probably do seals. I’d call them first.
http://www.hildsmarineservice.com/services.html
Hild's absolutely does this work. Great guy with whom to work.

The fairing blocks for hydraulic fins are around 18" x 18" x 3" thick.

But wait, there's more.....

Although there are fins that are spec'd for small boats such as my Willard 36, the support equipment is sized for a much larger boat. A 2-inch thru-hull for the hydraulic fluid cooler. A 7-gal hydraulic oil tank. Then the electronic boxes are relatively large, at least for a small boat. And let's not forget the engine mounted hydraulic pump and hose sets.

A couple years ago, I replaced my OEM 1970 Vosper stabilizers with the smallest system I could find (Wesmar, but I DO NOT recommend them). At the time, the bass system without hydraulic pump and hoses was about $25k plus shipping and install (not including hydraulic pump and mounting, which is considerable). Probably much higher now, especially for larger boats.

From a practical perspective, active fins are way too expensive for a GB32

Steadying sail? Nope. Not a match for a wake. I've uses them on a couple boats. Cute but worthless.

The roll chocks are the only hope for OP. Not perfect, but given the modest cost, likely has some bang for buck.

Peter

Peter, my buddy will be in Ensenada soon.

I highly recommend Seven Star Engineering in Newport RI. They are a Naiad service center. We have had wonderful experience with them.

Naiad stabilizer

Naiads are manufactured close to Bridgeport Conn., I had problems with the gyro and they met me at Bridgeport marina and serviced the boat right there. The technician said that they could do seals next door at a yard. Call them and ask, they’ll get you set up, and they were Very reasonable ?.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom