Refinish Salon Interior Walls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisTrawler

A family member just purchased a 77 Marine Trader 34. The salon interior laminate is badly cracked and warped in certain areas, due to moisture. Wanted to ask what people have done. We have discussed paint and wall paper. As the cracks are severe, we are thinking that refinish the existing walls may be futile.

Thank You

One method, old school, abbreviated:
Rebed the windows and exterior hardware first. That's where the water starts.
Interior laminate can be removed with heat, fill rotten spots with fiberglass filler, Bondo with glass works well for this. New Mahogany laminate can be ordered off the internet and applied with contact cement. Light sand and varnish.

I had some damage in the forward cabin, I scraped the loose laminate then used fairing compound to smooth everything out, sanded the walls and painted. I am happy with the outcome. My damage was not extensive or large. I did fix the leaks that caused it first.

Greetings,
Mr. CT. Welcome aboard. I tend to agree with Mr. TB (post #2). Strip/remove old veneer, fill and re-veneer. I would tend to use AlexSeal fairing compound as it does not absorb water like FRP (polyester) and is very easy to work with. FLAT finish before applying veneer is paramount to an attractively finished job.
Products | Fairing Compounds

over the years and across several boats I have done all kinds of repairs.

I have sanded, used fairing compound and then finished with wall paper.

Once I had a rain leak eat multiple channels through 1/2” plywood that was 3x8’. I removed all the rot and faired with an epoxy filler, finished with a layer of Formica.

One boat had 3x6” gouge. Again I used filler to level the damaged area and grafted in veneer to match the surrounding teak.

No one ever comment on any of these repairs.

On a previous boat, 12 boats ago, we had damage to the interior bulkheads. I used epoxy filler to repair the bulkheads and then used Brightside paint on them. I found that the finish looked much better if I sprayed them instead of roll and tip. Lot of masking and used forced air respirator. Looked great when I was done.

Greetings,
Mr. C. Perhaps it's just me but I'm always a bit leery of painted bulkheads that were originally "natural" wood. What are they trying to hide? Leaks? Fair enough BUT were the leaks properly repaired? I get it but that's just me. Our previous boat had several areas that had been veneered over but it was such a seamless job that I only discovered most after many years.

Well when I sold that boat it sold in one day at my asking price. The painted bulkheads actually brightened up the salon and it was much more inviting. If the buyers had asked what I was trying to hide I would have told them the damaged vernier. But I also would have told them that I had fixed the leaks and that it didn’t leak anymore.

I had carpet on the interior wall so I replaced it using teak plywood.

Attachments

• Compress_20240823_093911_1451 (4).jpg
    Compress_20240823_093911_1451 (4).jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Compress_20240824_150747_7041 (1).jpg
    Compress_20240824_150747_7041 (1).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom