Reinforcing squeaky helm chairs on flybridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
The two helm chairs on our flybridge feel solid, but squeak terribly and do not instill confidence. Whether they get replaced and upgraded, or simply reinforced, what is involved in bolstering the mount to the flybridge deck? I have access to the underside of the chair mounts through the salon ceiling panels.

Attachments

• IMG_7871.jpeg
    IMG_7871.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 25
If you have access to the underside then it will be pretty easy to fix. If you have room you can glass a large piece of 3/4” plywood to the underside and through bolt the seat bases to it. Slather on thickened epoxy to bed the plywood. If you don’t have room for 3/4” plywood then maybe a piece of G10 fiberglass or 1/4” aluminum. Again slather thickened epoxy on it and then through bolt the seat base.

Sometimes the slop and especially squeaking is from the bracket that attaches to the pedestal. A plastic collar lives there, you might try adjusting that mount some.

If space above the headliner is tight and you want to use G10 fiberglass, Jamestown Distributers sells it. Use carbide blades to cut it.

Have you pulled the chair off the pedestal upright? I think pinpointing the source of the squeak might be easier if you do this and add some grease lube to the tube at the top before you start doing fiberglass work.

Have you pulled the chair off the pedestal upright? I think pinpointing the source of the squeak might be easier if you do this and add some grease lube to the tube at the top before you start doing fiberglass work.

This: I added a disc of starboard to the top of the tube - squeak gone. Ymmv.

Back
Top Bottom