Remove blue sea water crusties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huruta

Vessel Make
2006 Nordic Tug 32
I’d like to remove the build up on hose threads, raw water wash down sprayer, and even on some fixtures on engine. Is warm vinegar water with or without baking soda a good place to start?

You need to identify the metals before picking a mild acid (vinegar is an acid). Vinegar would be fine on stainless steel, brass, and bronze, but probably not for aluminum, steel, and possibly other metals.

Ted

Vinegar and baking soda makes an impressive fizzing action. I suppose in theory there's some mechanical cleaning going on there, but basically all you're doing is neutralizing the acid.

Baking soda is mildly abrasive, so it can be effective in cleaning some things by itself, but again, the addition of vinegar doesn't help.

I’d like to remove the build up on hose threads, raw water wash down sprayer, and even on some fixtures on engine. Is warm vinegar water with or without baking soda a good place to start?
Vinegar works on just about anything you need to clean. One of the best uses is to clean your toilet. It will dull polished brass but it removes hard water, stains.

Vinegar is an acid, baking soda is a base. When you mix the two you neutralize their PH and create salt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom