Replacement steering wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

man7sell

Vessel Name
BONGO
Vessel Make
Sundowner 30
My new to me Sundowner 30 has a worn out wobbly steering wheel that I want to replace. The steering pump is a Wagner 701. All drawings I have found for these show a tapered shaft with a key and a retaining nut. I took the bronze cover off the wheel to find that it seems to be secured with a bolt.

Question. Is the shaft on the 701 always a tapered one?
Question. Is the shaft size 3/4"?

I could not remove the wheel as I was about to take the family out for a short cruise, and my tools were aboard my sailboat that is about to be sold (I hope).

Last edited:
Photos

photos for reference

Attachments

• wagner701.jpg
    wagner701.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 60
  • wheel001.jpg
    wheel001.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 53
Found a drawing that says the retaining nut is actually a screw. All my biger boats have had a nut that holds the steering wheel :lol:

Attachments

• 700 Helm Pump.jpg
    700 Helm Pump.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 58
Remove the screw, see if it is bottoming on the shaft. If it is, add a couple of washers larger than the shaft and retighten. I've never seen a wheel that doesn't need a couple

Early model Wagner pumps had 1" straight shafts w key, you won't know until you get it off. The tapered shaft w key is the Marine standard and is readily available is any style you want

:socool:

Tapered

Took the wheel off today and it is a 3/4" tapered shaft. What makes the wheel wobbly is worn wood. Don't really like the old ship looking wheel anyway, time to find a new one.

Took the wheel off today and it is a 3/4" tapered shaft. What makes the wheel wobbly is worn wood. Don't really like the old ship looking wheel anyway, time to find a new one.

Edson makes nice stainless wheels. Not cheap, but nice.

Edison makes an adapter to go from taper to 1" straight if needed.

I had a very hard time locating a replacement wheel. As TT says, they are remarkably expensive.

Peter

I’d look at marine salvage stores. You can find some really great pieces there. In the mean time, you can sturdy up the old wheel by injecting epoxy into the cracks. Amazon sells hypodermic needles in bulk packs with various size needles. I use the thin clear penetrating epoxy with them. Only get one use and toss them. I like the ones with the squared off end instead of the angled tip.
I did that with an old wooden wheel I had and it made a world if difference.

I’d look at marine salvage stores. You can find some really great pieces there. In the mean time, you can sturdy up the old wheel by injecting epoxy into the cracks. Amazon sells hypodermic needles in bulk packs with various size needles. I use the thin clear penetrating epoxy with them. Only get one use and toss them. I like the ones with the squared off end instead of the angled tip.
I did that with an old wooden wheel I had and it made a world if difference.
I will try the epoxy thanks. I am still going to replace the wheel as I don't really like the pretend pirate ship wheels :lol:

New wheel

Well my new wheel came yesterday and I installed it today. Way better.

Attachments

• newwheelsm.jpg
    newwheelsm.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 51
Well my new wheel came yesterday and I installed it today. Way better.

Next, center the rudder and put some fancy cord work on the wheel so you know when the rudder is centered. Yes most of us have a rudder indicator but the cord helps too. (Don’t have to take your eyes off the water)

I am considering an old time wheel on my AT.

The new wheel looks great; That is a nicely updated version that still works well with the traditional wood.

Next, center the rudder and put some fancy cord work on the wheel so you know when the rudder is centered. Yes most of us have a rudder indicator but the cord helps too. (Don’t have to take your eyes off the water)

I am considering an old time wheel on my AT.

Unfortunately with hydraulic steering and auto pilot override, the centered rudder does not correspond to wheel position. When the auto pilot steers, the wheel does not move.

Unfortunately with hydraulic steering and auto pilot override, the centered rudder does not correspond to wheel position. When the auto pilot steers, the wheel does not move.

The rudder can be re-synced with no problem. As i recall, set the autopilot to steer 0, put the wheel with the cord up and turn off the AP

Back
Top Bottom