Replacing powerwinch 502 windless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Sarasota

Hi all,
I’m replacing an old horizontal windless on a 44 ft Heritage east. I think it was rated at 1000 lbs.
There’s plenty of space for either horizontal or vertical model. The deck is solid with an extended bowsprit that the old windless was mounted on.
Plenty of space in the anchor locker.
I’d like to be able to operate it from the fly bridge
Any suggestions pros or cons on manufactures or styles would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

With windlasses, there is a good deal of truth to getting what you pay for. While it is easy to spend someone elses's money and tell you to get a Muir or Lofrans, I don't know if that is the best answer for you.

If you are going to anchor out frequently, expense is no concern, or your ground tackle system is your highest safety concern, I would go with one of these brands and slightly oversized it for your boat.

A horizontal model would likely be easier to install but you tend to get a greater pulling power for a given wattage with a vertically mounted unit. A vertically mounted unit is easier to winch drop a winch handle into and run manually in my opinion but hopefully you will never need that. Theoretically, the motor of a vertical windless is protected better down in the chain locker versus on deck relying on the water protection of the housing, I'm not sure how much this matters really. Either works, I would probably decide on which is easier to install on your boat.

My boat also came with a powerwinch 502, it was really only a capstan, meaning it had only a smooth drum and required the rode to be tailed (like a non self-tailing sailboat winch). I replaced it for the same reason you are, so I can run the windlass remotely. I went the cheap route with a horizontal mount Lewmar and it suits my needs but I know it isn't the best. The 502 has really small power leads to it, I think mine were number 8 or 10 awg, crazy small, if yours is similar, you will definitely have to upsize significantly.

Last edited:
I had an old rope only Powerwinch on my boat originally. As Gdavid said, the original wiring was tiny (6 or 8 AWG, 40A breaker). I replaced with a Maxwell HRC10-8 and new wiring. We've got 3 seasons with the new windlass at this point and it's been perfect.

Thanks for the feedback. The HRC10-8 is one of the models I was considering. It seems to be more costly than the Lewmar. I am guessing you get what you pay for applies here although GDavid seems to be ok with the Lewmar.

The Horizontal models would be an easier retrofit. I think I would only need a small hole for the rode to feed into the anchor locker. The old one was offset and would not be useful

There seems to be an indication that the vertical windless has more contact with the gypsy. Do you think that makes a significant difference? I am glad to hear you haven't had a problem for 3 years. Did you need to match the rode and chain to get the best performance. My present set-up has a shackle to attach rope to chain. I don't know if I can find anyone in Sarasota to do a splice or if I have to replace the entire set-up.

I appreciate the feedback.
John

I re did my whole setup at the same time, so the rode was new with the windlass. I ended up using the old hawse hole from the powerwinch for the power cables for the new windlass and then drilled a new hawse hole.

I installed a Lofrans Tigres 3 years ago with a few different switches. Foot switches on deck, remote hand controlled pendant on the bow and a remote toggle at the upper helm.
I have heavy ground tackle with the Rockna 33 and 300 feet of 3/8 chain and it works great. Easy install.

++++++There seems to be an indication that the vertical windless has more contact with the gypsy. Do you think that makes a significant difference?++++++
No real comment but if the horizontal windlass is installed properly there should not be a problem. THe chain wildcat should be in line with the bow roller. If not there MAY be some trouble with chain not feeding properly.
Even the verticals must be setup properly.

+++++++Did you need to match the rode and chain to get the best performance.++++++++

You absolutely MUST match the chain and the wildcat or you will have trouble with the operation. If the two don't match the chain can skip over the wildcat and roar back out creating a potentially dangerous situation. If you go for the combination rope/chain setups you have to pay attention to the type and size of the rope AND the chain or the new windlass won't work properly. It is not a matter of best performance but for it to work properly at all, or with as little danger as possible.

Yes, I have had that situation with chain roaring out due to a mismatch of chain and wildcat.

The one thing about all windlai is they must be aligned properly for them to work to their best and keep the potential goofups and danger to the minimum.

I replaced the broken Lewmar Concept on my Mainship 350 with a Power Winch Class 41. I had a Power Winch 30 on my old boat for 18 years with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom