Salon Door Insert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Grinnin' Barrett
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32' Classic
I have a 1981 Grand Banks 32 Classic. I keep the bright work in pretty good shape both inside and out. I recently redid the interior salon door. It looks great but it magnifies the less than perfect composite insert that almost dominates the door.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might spruce it up?

Thank you!

Sorry, please see the attached.

Attachments

• D43FFF9A-4B99-4822-A0E5-A1C87788D0EF.jpg
    D43FFF9A-4B99-4822-A0E5-A1C87788D0EF.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 23
I dunno. Maybe try a little varnish patch and if it doesn' look good, just paint?

I think I would try sanding and then staining the door to match the rails and stiles. Then varnish it. Maybe do a test in an inconspicuous place first.

Teak veneer glued right over that mess would be cheap, easy, and beautiful once varnished.

If it's faded plastic veneer, try a very light sanding and a coat of the clear gloss Cetol (or similar). I've seen faded plastic veener look surprisingly good after that treatment.

It is plastic, Formica perhaps. Cetol or varnish wouldn’t “stick”.

It is plastic, Formica perhaps. Cetol or varnish wouldn’t “stick”.

You'd be surprised. The table shown in this picture has similar plastic veneer on it and was coated with Cetol about 10 years ago. The coating has yet to have any issues with peeling or adhesion loss.

Attachments

• PXL_20210608_150228573.jpg
    PXL_20210608_150228573.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 17
That looks pretty rough for formica which is really durable. Melamine maybe?

Could cut a panel of 1/4" birch plywood and stain, varnish and glue in with contact cement.

Back
Top Bottom