Salon Door Locks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualund1981

Vessel Name
Aqualund
Vessel Make
42 Grand Banks Classic
1981 GB 42
Salon door locks will not operate.
Key goes in but cylinder will not turn.

Has anyone replaced these with original hardware or found substitues?

Have you found the manufacturer? That was the tough part when I started working on our lock cylinder issue.

Had them out of the door a while back but did not see a mfg name

I found mine using the Duck Duck Go (or your favorite internet search engine) image search. Sift through a few pages with the right search words and you'll find them.

I would take them apart and clean it up and lube it. That may help make it operational.

I recently needed to replace an exterior door hinge on my 1995 GB42. I went to grandbanks.com scrolled through to owners experience, then parts and accessories and filled out a general inquiry form. Surprisingly, I was directly contacted by the Malaysian office and was able to source the parts. They were very helpful and responsive. The only downside was that the shipping cost was extremely expensive. The hinges were a perfect match.

I also have had success, as previously suggested, with disassembling and lubricating the lock mechanism.

If she doesn't want you coming in, you can't come in. Simple.

iu

1981 GB 42
Salon door locks will not operate.
Key goes in but cylinder will not turn.

Has anyone replaced these with original hardware or found substitues?

I have a 71 GB and when I took possession the lock was seized no one knew for how long.
WD40 soak 1-2 times a day in the key hole and and anywhere to get inside using the spray tube that comes with can, wipe excess and operate the inside thumb lever (wiggle), let sit. a couple days later it turned open stiffly. Soak the tongue and lock/unlock it will free up. Never took it off the door.
Today, the key turns like new. Give it a shot of WD40 every few months.

WD-40 is a great solvent with some lubrication in it, but over time it will gum up and you're back where you started. Clean the tumblers with the WD-40, remove as much of it as you can (compressed air), then use a dry lock-specific lubrication such as graphite.

Wear and tear on the key and tumblers over the years can also be a culprit. Key copies, especially n-generation ones, are not exactly the same as the factory original and they can cause damage to the tumblers (it's like making a photocopy of a photocopy of a...you get the idea).

Check with a reputable local locksmith and see how much a lock rebuild and re-key would be. It may end up costing a lot less than chasing down OEM locksets.

WD-40 is a great solvent with some lubrication in it, but over time it will gum up and you're back where you started. .........

I keep hearing that, thanks. Years later still no sticky. But if you do not maintain it then it will stick again. Whatever works best for you.

Instead of WD 40, you might try a bicycle chain light oil with silicone in it, great stuff. WD 40 dries out quickly, initially it will work well, but down the road, not to far down the road, it peters out so to speak.

This is the stuff I use around the house, on bikes, and other mechanical goodies. Thinking about it, they might have replaced the silicone with something else. We recently had a new house built and all the doors squeaked, I used this stuff and two years on it is still good.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tri-Flow-TF00...ocphy=9001446&hvtargid=pla-432798953219&psc=1

You can get this stuff at your local bike shop.

I guess you guys are missing the point, WD40 displaces moisture which causes the stickiness, by all means once it is free, lube with whatever

I own a Mainship 400 2007 Model. The rubber seal around the aft Salon Door glass door windows needs to be replaced. I am having difficulty in locating that rubber seal. If you have a source for that rubber seal, please be so kind as to email me that contact information at Fourdent@san.rr.com I would be MOST APPRECIATIVE ! Thanks,
Captain Ron D. San Diego, CA.

Back
Top Bottom