Scoop thru-hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilPB

Guru
Vessel Name
Sun Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
I'm ordering parts for my additional air conditioning system and the vendor suggested that I use a scoop thru-hull strainer vs mushroom type open thru-hull. I'm going to install a strainer, only cruise 8kn, why would this be the suggestion? Maybe I'm wrong but I figured a non-scoop thru-hull would be better and have an inside serviceable strainer would be a better setup.

I don’t see any real benefit from a scoop intake. It would be more difficult to clean.

I don’t see any real benefit from a scoop intake. It would be more difficult to clean.

That's what I was thinking and it's a bit redundant since I will have an additional strainer after the seacock. He said it was an ABYC standard.

I have not checked the recommendations on that but I would be very surprised if that was true.

They included a Groco SC-1000 with the kit. It was less expensive for me to order their installation kit opposed to ordering everything separately. I suppose I'll just make a management decision whether to install it or not when I put in the new thru-hull.

That's what I was thinking and it's a bit redundant since I will have an additional strainer after the seacock. He said it was an ABYC standard.

It's not an ABYC standard. I'm with comodave on this one, no advantage to it and there's a good argument that those scoop strainers are more of a problem than a benefit.

My boat was built with scoops for the A/C intakes. They've never been a problem, but they're probably not necessary either. I'm assuming it was done to reduce the risk of the A/Cs losing prime if you get a little air pushed past the intakes when running with the A/C on.

Back
Top Bottom