SeaTow vs. TowBoat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick14

Guru
Vessel Name
Culmination
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38 Sedan
I'd appreciate hearing anyone's thoughts and experiences on SeaTow vs. TowBoat membership.

Any opinions on getting towing insurance directly through SeaTow vs. the TowBoat coverage that comes with BoatUS?

One never wants to need a tow, but like insurance, I don't want to find myself in a situation of needing it and having the towing company claim it was a 'salvage' operation and I risk losing my boat.

Thank you!

I would look at your cruising area and see which one has more resources.

Both very similar unless you cruise to far reaches of the US.

Even then both policies will pay for other outfits to tow you as long as you call your membership service first, up to limited amounts.

The best for you if you stay pretty local is the better service in your area. Ask around, talk to the franchise owner and local captains, look at their boats and many offer "good deal items" not always in writing at the national level. "Trust but verify."

If you cruise far a lot, some are more prolific in certain areas...take a look at that.

In my experience working in the assistance tow business.... not only do some in the business lie through their teeth so it does make it hard to know who is really better, but asking other boaters can be equally as bad as many to most have no clue whet the actual membership benefits truly are.

Read the National Membership policy of both, print them out, put them side by side to compare and after you pick one, read it regularly to remember what you signed up for, not what you read on the net or hear around the marina.

I added tow insurance through my insurance policy, supposedly they'll use whatever company that is available in the area. But if it is a smaller company not on their list I may need to pay upfront and get reimbursed.

Just make sure that our insurance company has an agreement with either/both companies that they won't demand payment up from... when I worked in the business it was an on again off again thing and the tow companies refused to deal that way with insurance companies because they were losing membership fees and getting the short end of the stick.

Safe Sea does a great job in Narragansett Bay and throughout the Northeast. If you get it through Boat US it’s even a better deal in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom