Seeking Heat Exchanger for 1995 3208t Cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldcar

Veteran Member
Hola from Pacific Northwest
We have 1995 Fleming 55, with 3208t Cats (4400 hours) a few weeks back during a 5 week cruise I noticed coolant in the bilge under my starboard engine. After many trips down the engine room while under way to try to find the leak I finally found it- a pin hole in the heat exchanger on bottom on the right side (while looking aft). At start it was dripping very quickly, however 30 minutes later the leak stopped! I applied G-Flex w/ hardener to try to stop the leak but it didn't work. Someone suggested that once the exchanger heated up the metal expands and sealed the hole. The boat is 3 years new to us and was not properly maintained. The plan is to pull both exchangers and examine. Cat says they are a year out for new exchangers. Looking for sources for new exchangers.

Call Greenwood Radiator Repair at 206) 783-2177. Tell Ron what you have. He might be able to solder the pin holes up for you.

When it comes to classic cars he is the guy. He also does a lot of boat work.

You will need to remove the heat exchanger and bring it to him.

Try MrCool (https://www.mrcool.us/). I just bought a new heat exchanger for my Westerbeke genset from them, and they seem to have a big selection. I can’t vouch for it because I haven’t installed it yet, but delivery was quick and it looks good.

Sen-Dure Products out of Florida made the heat exchangers for my Cat 3408s and have a Sen-Dure produced identity plate, which lists model and serial numbers soldered on to the coolant tank.

Their on-line Catalog lists heat exchangers for numerous main engine manufactures including Detroit, Volvo and Yanmar, among others.

But no listing for Cat, perhaps they have an agreement with Cat not to sell to the public.
It might be worth a call to find out. Let us know what they say.

I have bought heat exchangers for my 2 ZF gears, and both Onan gensets directly from them. Other than the wallet hit, it was painless.

Back
Top Bottom