Shaft movement part 2 - Engine mounts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mncruiser

Vessel Name
Phoenix
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Hey all,

New thread discussing old thread "shaft movement" you all gave me great advice on earlier last year. The old thread - https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/normal-shaft-movement-short-video-63484.html

The summary of that old thread-

- 2001 Mainship 390 with single Yanmar 6LP-STE, 1600 hours.
- Shaft replaced after a grounding by last owner, approximately in 2016
- Shaft seal was slow leaking last spring, spare seal moved in place. Still slow leak at idle in gear, some vibration visible, most agreed it was more than desired but nothing catastrophic.

Much great advice. Ran all last season with no issues, but making a plan to address this spring before launch.

Right now the plan is to replace engine mounts as they are original mounts from 2001. Initial alignment on the hard. Launch boat, let boat soak for a few weeks and perform alignment in the water.

After this re-evaluate shaft movement/vibration visibly and with run-out gauge.

The thought from the marina is engine mounts are questionable, without replacing, any alignment will be a waste of time.

Any comments or other thoughts on things I should think about?

Thanks

MN

Last edited:
My MS34 is older and smaller but I had to replace the shaft due to a frozen coupler where it connects to the transmission (they had to cut the shaft to get it out). Even though I had a company do the shaft replacement, they allowed me to be the 2nd (and third) set of hands. Because of that I learned a lot. On ours, the mid-shaft bearing wasn't visible to me but they knew to replace it, the old one was worn. Secondly, I learned that there were very small shims where the coupling married the shaft to the transmission. After assembly, everything worked as I hoped.

You may have a totally different setup but I thought I might share my experience.

20 years on a natural rubber engine mount is old enough. I have no interest in this company but on a Mainship FB page a Pilot owner found these

https://oceanicinnovations.com/

Direct replacement for your Barry Control mounts.

Not a big fan of the performance of a Barry mount, especially at the price. A direct drop in replacement is by far the best way to go, these are worth a look, and they are stainless!

:socool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom