Shaft packing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrandWood

I know this may sound retarded. I’m under the impression that the packing should not be dripping while the boat is at the dock just sitting, should drip slightly when engine is running.

Could someone confirm, or line me out. As there’s a seller telling me that all the boats in the marina were he’s at drip while sitting.

His boat filled with water, as his bilge pump wasn’t connected and flooded the boat to the point it was settled in the water and shorted his house bank. To me it seems that’s a little much, and I would think the hull is leaking elsewhere if he has to rely on his bilge to keep the water from filling the boat. I would also assume that the wiring is no longer worth a rip that is below that water level in the boat. On top of that he told me he epoxied the hull, and it hasn’t been outta the water in 11 years, this is a wood hull GB42.

When I look at ads, there’s many that say “a dry bilge” which I’m thinking is what you would want.

Now I don’t know spit other then what I have read, and researched over the past two years preparing to move onto a boat full time for my retirement. So any reply’s are much appreciated

A dry bilge is achievable even with old school flax packing. Strongly preferred so you can quickly identify leaks. I used to keep a shallow Tupperware beneath my packing gland - might get a pint a month.

Wood boat hasn't been hauled in 11 years. Wild guess, maybe the topics are related?

I'll be curious to see if there are any responses here about wisdom of epoxy or glass encapsulation on bottom of planked wooden boat. I have a hunch there are unintended consequences, but nothing beyond hunch.

Peter

My shaft packing occasionally drips for a day or 2 after the boat has been run. Beyond that point, they're perpetually damp, but rarely drip. They do drip a little while running, but nothing crazy.

Generally, the goal is that the packing gland stays cool at the fastest cruise speed and doesn't drip excessively to achieve that. Drips while stopped are pretty much you get what you get, provided everything is in good condition. Some setups will be dryer than others.

Some like their packing to drip as it keeps oxygenated water on the shaft and less chance of corrosion.

Dry bilges are achievable but really not a big deal or a bragging right amongst the knowledgeable.

Last edited:
We used Duramax packing in our last boat. After the initial breakin period it can be adjusted so that it doesn’t leak at the dock or underway. When I rebuilt the shaft logs there was absolutely no indication of any problems with the shafts.

Applying just epoxy to wood will not waterproof it because the natural expansion and contraction of the wood will crack the epoxy.

Is this in the wrong thread?
Not really. The OP had a tag line at end that i picked-up on and wondered about the wisdom of epoxying a wood hull:

On top of that he told me he epoxied the hull, and it hasn’t been outta the water in 11 years, this is a wood hull GB42.

Coincidentally, a 1960s era wood plank sailboat happened to be in the yard where Weebles was a month or so ago. Not great condition. Owner had picked it up for free in Los Angeles area and came down because no one in So Cal would haul it. He seemed over his head and said that the bottom had been glassed-over which meant a marina would allow the boat because it wasn't wood. Or at least that was his thinking. He didn't stay long - Bondo was his primary rot-remediation.

Peter

For a boat to actually sink due to a shaft leakage would be highly unusual. Either the boat has not left the dock in years or the drip is excessive or there are other leaks.

A normal battery bank with a decent pump and switch should be able to keep up with a shaft leak for at least a couple years.

pete

Not really. The OP had a tag line at end that i picked-up on and wondered about the wisdom of epoxying a wood hull:

On top of that he told me he epoxied the hull, and it hasn’t been outta the water in 11 years, this is a wood hull GB42.

Coincidentally, a 1960s era wood plank sailboat happened to be in the yard where Weebles was a month or so ago. Not great condition. Owner had picked it up for free in Los Angeles area and came down because no one in So Cal would haul it. He seemed over his head and said that the bottom had been glassed-over which meant a marina would allow the boat because it wasn't wood. Or at least that was his thinking. He didn't stay long - Bondo was his primary rot-remediation.

Peter

Yeah that's too bad. Wooden hulls are fine, but they require very regular maintenance. One that has been neglected (And I certainly think the one referenced by the OP has been very neglected) can require a huge amount of repair and unless the boat is special, bit really be worth fixing an older one.

Ken

How long was the bilge pump disconnected to allow that much water into bilge via the sellers proclaimed shaft packing drip. Was the seller hoping for an insurance claim instead of selling?

Mr. Wood lots of red flags just on the bit you shared.

I know this may sound retarded. I’m under the impression that the packing should not be dripping while the boat is at the dock just sitting, should drip slightly when engine is running.

My shaft packing doesn't drip with the engines not turning and barely drips with it.

I grew up on wooden hull shrimp boats. Packing glands should not leak when the shaft isn't turning. And glassing over the hull is always the last step before the bone yard.

How long was the bilge pump disconnected to allow that much water into bilge via the sellers proclaimed shaft packing drip. Was the seller hoping for an insurance claim instead of selling?

Mr. Wood lots of red flags just on the bit you shared.

Yes sir, just the boat filling up enough to short out the house bank had me thinking there is more wrong then just a bilge pump not connected.

Had already decided it wasn’t for me before this post, just the seller was making me feel uninformed and I just wanted to get some input, I may have been wrong.

Seller shot me a crazy number, so I just wanted to investigate and see what all needed done and what it would cost in SoCal to make the boat sea worthy.

Thank you all for checking in, much appreciated

There are rarely absolutes in boating.

Drip a little even stationary has it's believers and the no drip crowd as well. They both can have plusses and minuses.

Back
Top Bottom